DVD Recording Media

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Bevil, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Does anyone have an idea which of the dvd recording formats offers the highest level of compatibility for other DVD players? I had understood that the DVD-R format was the most compatible. Then I read something yesterday where the DVD+R format offered the highest compatibility. I know the DVD recording units still seem to be vying for sales, but offering different formats. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. Michael St. Clair

In the only independent, third-party, professional test I've seen (DV Magazine), DVD-R was the most compatible.

Both are compatible in MOST current players. -R definitely seems more compatible in more older players.

Of the two, only -R is recognized by the DVD Forum.

3. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Michael, thanks for the info.

4. Jon W (NoVA)

Jon W (NoVA) Stunt Coordinator

Did you see a report where they tested +R explicitly and not just +RW?

+R has a higher reflectivity and from what I've heard so far has very similiar compatibility to -R, whereas +RW has about the same compatibility as -RW.

Whereas -RAM pretty much only works on some of the Panasonic players.

5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

I've had both kinds (+r and -r) and I've found them to be about the same. +RW and -RW are also very similar in the three different players I put them in. One is 3 years old, and the other two are 1 year old from two different manufacturers.

6. Michael St. Clair

Reflectivity is not the only issue with compatibility, there are also subtle differences in format which can trip up some players. At least between -R/W, -R Authoring Media, +R/W, -RAM. I'm not sure if there are any format differences between -R and -RW, or +R and +RW.

The most compatible media ever is -R Authoring Media, but it is limited to 3.95 "GB" (actually billion bytes, not gigabytes). It works in almost every player ever made, but it costs about $15 a blank and I believe settop writers don't write to it.

There is also the possibility of CE manufacturer politics. If this battle gets ugly, you might see Toshiba, Panasonic, JVC, etc. intentionally block +R/W discs from working in their players. DVD Multi is what everybody other than Philips and perhaps Sony is behind, and DVD Multi doesn't include the '+' formats. Sony is straddling the fence.

7. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I recently purchased a Samsung DVD R3000 recorder and have converted over 100 VHS, SVHS and laserdisc to DVD-R with excellent results. It is important to note that DVD-R in itself will play on very few players. After recording video / audio information on a DVD-R the DVD-R is then finalized by the player and converted to DVD-Video. DVD-Video is the end product that will play on all new players.

I own Pioneer, Samsung, JVC and Panasonic players and the DVD-R's finalized to DVD-Video play on all my players. I have never experienced a problem. It takes the player approximatley 4 mnutes to finalize a DVD-R.

8. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Ernest:
    The player isn't actually changing the format of the disc in any way... It's just closing the disc so no more writes can be made. It's the same sort of process found with CD's, if you don't close the disc then you can still write to it, but once you close you're done.
    Larry:
    If you're wondering what players work with what media check out the compatibility list at VCDHelp. It's not a comprehensive list, but it'll give you a general idea. My opinion on the subject depends on wether you're using a set-top recorder or a PC based recorder. I think for a set-top recorder DVD+R/RW is the best right now, and for a PC based solution DVD-R/RW is better.
    -Aaron

9. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Check my sig. It's a bit dated, but there is some useful info there. As Michael has said:

DVD-R (Authoring) highest compatibility, but consumer recorders do not work with it.

DVD-R (General) and +R very close.

DVD-RW and +RW also very close, but both significantly worse than DVD-R and +R.

DVD-RAM - least compatibility with set top players, but most common rewritable format for set top recorders (ie. DMR-E20/30)

As I understand it there are slight physical differences between the - and + formats, but much of the incompatibility comes from players not recognizing a disc type, not reflectivity. eg. when +RW came out, some machines could not recognize +RW at all until there was a firmware update. Then they worked fine.

10. Jon W (NoVA)

From what I've read DVD+RW uses the DVD-Video format exactly, and the reason some players won't play it is because it has a lower reflectivity and some players confuse the primary layer (only layer) of a +RW with the second layer of a DVD-Video disc.

DVD+R on the other hand has the higher reflectivity and the only difference should be the fact that it's flagged as a +R disc and of course it still only has a single layer. For players who look for a specific flag and hence don't support +R there's a utility that can be used to set the flag so the disc looks pretends it's DVD-Video.

I thought the "authoring" media is intended for making masters discs that can be mass copied.

11. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Using players made since 2000; I haven't had any compatitbility problems at all using DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+RW with one exception: My friend's Toshiba model would play DVD+RWs but not DVD+R.

The only time you are going to run into trouble is in using older DVD players, and maybe some of the low end $69.00 players they sell at Walmart.

12. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

13. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Aaron: Thanks for the link to VCD Help. I recently purchased the Panasonic DMR -E30 recorder and was having a problem with some of the DVD-R blanks I bought. I have tried to record three of the Memorex DVD-R blanks and none of them will play through. They will start and then after a while start pixelating bad and eventually "hang up" the player. I was beginning to wonder if the format was not the most compatible or if it was just those Memorex blanks. I have done some recording on other DVD-R blanks with mostly good results. So, for me, it appears that my recorder doesn't like Memorex DVD-R discs. Was wondering if anyone else was having a problem with this brand.

14. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

15. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

16. Jon W (NoVA)

Yeah, DVD+RW is a good solution for PC use *AND* compatibility.

It can't be rewritten as many times as DVD-RAM, and it's not as speedy ... but 2.4X is pretty decent, and you can literally add a file, eject the disk, and plop it in to a compatible DVD-ROM drive and read it.

ie, no need to finalize to make the disc compatible.

btw, the Apex 3201 ($99 at Walmart) is compatible with DVD+RW.