DVD Recorders?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Antonio_G, May 26, 2005.

1. Antonio_G

Antonio_G Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking what is the best dvd recorder out there because I will be paying one very soon and I would like to know what's the best out there for me to get and I have all these tapes and I would like to convert them over to dvd's...

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Wow, that's quite the sentence. Anyway, I have a Panasonic. It works great, I have no issues recording or any stuttering issues like you may have read about. Another nice thing is that it is one of the few that you can still get in black.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Panasonic's newest models will record in DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+R and will also play back DVD+RW too, which is awesome. They also have much better quality in the LP mode than many others do. These start at under $200.

I also like Sony's recent models, as they record in DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW. Around $250.

Dual format models are the way to go.

4. cliff p

cliff p Auditioning

get one with a hard drive

5. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

One thing you need to consider, if your tapes are commerical tapes with macrovision protection, the dvd recorder will not accept the signal.

If your tapes are off air recordings, then the recorder will accept them, but you may be disappointed in stability or quality especially if you used slow speed for recording.

There are add on boxes to stablize signals and correct color, etc but these are delt with on other forums under "restoration".