DVD recorders: Philips vs. Pioneer Elite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Hopewell, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Eric Hopewell

Eric Hopewell Auditioning

Jan 9, 2002
    Can anyone provide some insight into the Philips dvdr 1000/1500 versus the Pioneer Elite dvr-7000?

1. The Philips has component video in but I looked at the manual via their web site and I believe I understood it to say not to connect a progressive scan source to this input. Can HDTV be recorded with this unit? Pioneer has no component input.

2. Can't seem to find out if the Philips has 3:2 pulldown either. I understand that progressive scan doesn't necessarily mean 3:2. Pioneer has 3:2.

3. Media-I'm not really sure about this, but isn't DVD-R and RW more widely accepted than +RW as the recordable dvd format?

4. Or is it really too soon to be looking at an all in one progressive scan with 3:2, component input for recording HDTV, etc. unit at this time.

Thanks to all in advance.
  2. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard Stunt Coordinator

Jun 30, 1997
    Hi Eric,

I would also be interested if anyone has answers to your questions.

I've been trying to research the various DVD Recorders out there and seem to be getting more confusion than information.

Anyone have some insights into these things?

I'd also like to hear if anyone thinks the higher end players (Pioneer and Philips) are worth the extra dollars compared to the Panasonic.