DVD recorders....ANY better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CraigL, Sep 14, 2002.

1. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Hey all,

I think i'm finally ready to bite the bullet and put down the money for the newest Panasonic with the built in hard drive. My question for you is this: what will happen with DVD recorders in the future (in your opinion) that will make them better? Should I wait? Besides becoming HD-DVD recordable...is the picture going to get better? Sound?

Just curious what your ideas are.

2. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I recently purchased the Samsung DVD R 3000 recorder (DVD-R / DVD-RAM) which is very similar to the Panasonic E20 and E30 models and have experienced excellent results when converting VHS, SVHS and Laserdisc to DVD-R. The recorders now on the market record excellent video quality and it will be hard to improve in that area.

The improvement will be in the audio recording when they introduce recorders that record Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. The current wave of recorders record audio in 2 channel stereo equilivant to Dolby Pro Logic.

The only reason to wait is for the price to come down, not for better quality. The quality is excellent and the prices are coming down. You can purchase the Samsung and Panasonic for under $550.00 delivered and I have seen the Philips P985 for $699.00.

There is a price war going on between Panasonic (RAM) and Philips (RW) that will only lower prices. Good luck.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The new Panny has a hard drive built in for recording up to either 5 or 50 hours of content, cannot remember. Also has a PC Card slot on the front????
    It does DVD+R. DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM! Goes for 999 most retail chains, but can be found much cheaper if you dig, like around 700-800!

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I hope some more people that have theses dvd recorders can chime in as well. I am very interested in one of these. I have just purchased a new entertainment system for my bedroom and really want to take advatage of this technology. If I buy a new dvd player and a new vcr that will be around $350, I can spend a little more and get to record on dvd! Is it worth it? Should I wait? How well does it record Directv programs? Also, can I record form normal analog tv being broadcast via antenna?

5. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Another question I have, do any dvd recorders have dvd audio?

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

8. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

There have been a dozen threads on this. If you use the search button, you'll find the answers to your questions.

9. Michael St. Clair