DVD recorder with upconversion

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff N, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N Auditioning

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a decent DVD recorder with a built in hard drive and possibly with video upconversion as well. I want the machine for transfering my old Hi8 tapes to DVD as well as taking over a lot of my VCR's time shifting duties.

Picture quality is very important too because we watch a fair amount of movies. From what I have read video upconversion to 720p/1080i while not quite the same PQ as HD is still worth the extra dollars. My new 57" Epson Livingstation LCD RP does have a DVI input. I have also read that a DVI or HDMI input is needed now for the upconversion. It will not work with component inputs any longer.

So far the only DVD recorder I've seen that also does upconversion is the Toshiba RD-XS52. Are there any other units out there worth looking at? I understand that Panasonic, Toshiba and probably all the rest will be coming out with new models in the next couple months but can't seem to find much info on them. Are there any new models coming out that do upconversion?

Any input would be much appreciated. Jeff

[​IMG]

2. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

I have had the Toshiba RD-XS52 for a few weeks now and I love it. I have had no problems with it. I have recorded several dvd's and they play back great on my other players with no problems and look great. It can record in 16x9 which is great. It does so much. The manual is HUGE! It comes with the hdmi cable, so if you buy this one no need in picking one up. The one it comes with is about 6' long.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Jeff, you read right, video upconversion, while giving a really nice picture on most DVDs is definately NOT HD quality. On my TV though I definately see a difference when my player upconverts from 480p to 1080i. True HD progams though blow the upconversion away. Yes, usually most upconverting players reqire either DVI or HDMI to do their magic. There are some players that will up convert over component, but these are very few in number and some won't upconvert copy protected DVDs at all. The reason for upconversion over DVI or HDMI is because HDCP (High Bandwith Digital Copy Protection) is becoming more and more prevalent and upconversion requires that both the player and display be HDCP compliant; HDCP is possible only over a pure digital connection, ala DVI/HDMI.
    [​IMG]

4. Jeff N

Jeff N Auditioning

Thanks Harold and Chuck for the great info.

I keep wondering if I'm asking too much for a recorder that does upconversion as well as everything else. Why isn't upconversion more prevalent with recorders than it is? Do you sacrifice something else for the upconversion feature?

My concern with the Toshiba is that it can't record onto RW discs. I'm not sure if my old Sony player can handle DVD ram or -r media. The other issue for me is the fact that new models are coming out soon. Should I wait for the new and improved units (assuming that they are improved)?

Jeff

5. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

Do you mean it flags the recording? All of my newer home video recordings are done in 16:9 but my current DVD recorder doesn't flag 16:9 so everybody look tall and skinny if the DVD recording is played on a 4:3 TV.

6. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

Yes it flags them. [​IMG]