What's new

DVD Recorder With or Without Hard Drive? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of getting a DVD-Recorder sometime in the near future and I keep thinking I should get one with a hard drive but recently I have been wondering if it will really be worth the almost double price.

I currently record off of Dish on their PVR and I know I can record these to a DVD Recorder so I doubt I would use the DVD-Recorder with Hard Drive for TV Recordings. I would like to transfer Laserdiscs and VHS tapes to DVD. I always read here that people record to the hard drive 1st and then burn to the DVD. What are the advatages of this over just recording straight to DVD? Wouldn't there be a quality loss by 1st recording to the hard drive and then the DVD instead of just straight to the DVD?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking of getting a DVD-Recorder sometime in the near future and I keep thinking I should get one with a hard drive but recently I have been wondering if it will really be worth the almost double price.

I currently record off of Dish on their PVR and I know I can record these to a DVD Recorder so I doubt I would use the DVD-Recorder with Hard Drive for TV Recordings. I would like to transfer Laserdiscs and VHS tapes to DVD. I always read here that people record to the hard drive 1st and then burn to the DVD. What are the advatages of this over just recording straight to DVD? Wouldn't there be a quality loss by 1st recording to the hard drive and then the DVD instead of just straight to the DVD?

Thanks in advance for any help.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

As Michael replied, not if you do a bit-for-bit copy. But even if your copy involves a re-encode, the quality loss will probably be very small and often undectable, depending on a few factors (like if your recording to hard drive is done at XP or SP and your dub to disk is at LP or EP).

A recorder with a hard drive has many advantages over VHS. You can store a lot more on a hard disk than on tape, and access to each program is much quicker. Tracking problems, tape wear, added noise, etc., are a thing of the past.

I've used dvd recorders with and without hard drives. Once you've become accustomed to a hard drive, you'll wonder how you ever did without - you'll never go back.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

As Michael replied, not if you do a bit-for-bit copy. But even if your copy involves a re-encode, the quality loss will probably be very small and often undectable, depending on a few factors (like if your recording to hard drive is done at XP or SP and your dub to disk is at LP or EP).

A recorder with a hard drive has many advantages over VHS. You can store a lot more on a hard disk than on tape, and access to each program is much quicker. Tracking problems, tape wear, added noise, etc., are a thing of the past.

I've used dvd recorders with and without hard drives. Once you've become accustomed to a hard drive, you'll wonder how you ever did without - you'll never go back.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I guess I didn't look too close. Man that really would have been a great deal - a dvd recorder plus tivo for $199.

:b

Peace,

DM

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Sorry, I guess I didn't look too close. Man that really would have been a great deal - a dvd recorder plus tivo for $199.

:b

Peace,

DM

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've never regretted not spending all the extra $$ on a HD recorder.

My Philips DVD75 has served me well and I've made a bunch of copies of 8mm, VHS, and Laserdisc videos and never had any real issues.

We just edit on the fly if it's from VHS/8mm tapes because we end up watching the video anyway so we just pause the video when it ends etc. If I recorded to HD, THEN edited it, THEN burned it to DVD ALL in real time, I'd be sitting for hours babysitting the whole process...I can get a 1 or 2 hour 8mm video copied to DVD in just that..1-2 hours depending on the length of the actual video.

Yeah, HD's may be fun to have at times, but for us, it didn't add up cost-wise.

Good luck in your quest!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks