DVD recorder with 80 GB HD $278... comments?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mirko, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Mirko

Mirko Agent

2. Bryan_P

Bryan_P Stunt Coordinator

My only thought with regard to the Wal-Mart deal is that it is a brand I've never heard of (though I'm no expert) and they sell it at Wal-Mart (which I dislike as much as most people on this forum dislike Bose).

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. But...if there's anyone on this forum who has one and tells us it's not crap, I'd be interested....

3. Adam*M

Adam*M Stunt Coordinator

One thing I always wondered about these DVD recorders: Do they convert the composite/s-video input to component output on the fly? Could this be connected between my D* TiVo and a projector, giving me component video? Or is the component output only active when playing a DVD on the unit?

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I checked on avsforum, and there seems to be some talk about ilo, and they seem to be rebadged liteon players/recorders.

I have never used a liteon recorder, but I do use the 2001 upscaling player with my front projector and it produces the sharpest output I have ever seen. The build quality leaves a little to be desired, but the image quality is undeniable.

I have not used them myself, but I have heard good things about their dvd recorder line. However they have saved some money on their units by cheaping out in certain areas. Namely the sound that is recorded on discs is in mpeg audio instead of dolby, which may cause some compatibility problems with older dvd players. Also the tuner in many of their recorders is mono not stereo.

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I got one for Christmas (had read a lot of good about them). I have played with it the past day or so and so far I love it. I have about 25 Hi8 tapes I have recorded over the last 15 years that I have desperately wanted to put on DVD. I have a DVD burner in my computer and have tried several times to capture and burn my tapes with only finding a lot of frustration and time wasted in doing so. So I had quietly been watching these home based burners as their price has been dropping and quality has improved till now.

So far I have ripped (copied) 6 Hi8 tapes to the Hard Drive with great results. I have only taking time to edit one of the tapes from the HD and burn it to DVD+R. It all burnt great but only my ILO DVD player and my computer will read it out of my 5 DVD players in the house.
    So I figure it's a DVD+R problem so I copied the DVD+R to DVD-R on my computer and was hopeful that would play but no such luck so far. My Toshiba 2700 DVD player will play it but no sound, not sure what to make of that as it plays fine on the computer?

The ILO it's self is great so far and I am getting these tapes to a digital DVD format which I have wanted for years but now if I can just figure out how to get them to play in at least a couple players in the house so we can enjoy the videos we have not seen in many years. Any Ideas would be great?

Wes

6. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Don't know if this is the problem, but alot of people fail to finalize their DVD's. If you don't remember doing this, you probably haven't and that will prevent the DVD from playing other than in the recorder you used to burn it.

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Wes, I believe the reason your Toshiba DVD player will not produce sound, just picture on the DVDs you have burned is because the sound is recorded analog and you probably just have your DVD player hooked to your receiver via either a toslink or coax cable. Am I correct in asuming that? Try hooking up the red and white analog audio cables from your Toshiba DVD player to one of the analog connections on your receiver or TV and you will get sound.[​IMG]

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I guess I assumed it was recording it in DD or PCM and would out put in the Digital out. Your right I only have it hooked up with the digital.

Thanks, You are probably correct!

I did know to finilize and I did so on the test discs! But it could be over looked!

Wes

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Hooked up my stereo cables today and now I have audio.

Thanks Chuck!

I did experience a glitch today while editing a tape. I wanted to remove a couple chapters and did a Split and then was going to Merge the content I wanted back, but when I went to Split the second time the HDD froze at 60%. I had to unplug the unit and when I plugged it back in and brought up the content on the HDD the last Split I was working on was lost! [​IMG]

Oh well I just fired the camcorder back up at the spot I wanted and recorded it again and then will try tomorrow to Merge it back.

Wes

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Figured out also if I go into my Toshiba setup and select PCM out it will put the stereo audio out the Digital cable.
    But you have to switch it back to Bitstream in order to play DD/DTS 5.1 on movies!

Wes

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I have now transferred 12 or so 8mm and hi8 tapes to the HDD and then on to DVD using this player. Found out if you pause or stop the video content before you split it will not lock up.
    I have edited and copied with no problems. I have so far really liked this DVD Recorder. Now I do have incompatibility problems with some of my players playing DVD+ discs. So I have to duplicate them to DVD- but this leaves me a back up DVD that I wanted any way!

There are updates to the firmware but I have not tried any of them yet. Have not needed to I do not believe.

Be interested to hear others that are using it?

Wes

12. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing with an Aspire recorder that does DVD+R and DVD+RW. I can play the +R on one machine without a menu and a lot a trouble and the +R plays fine on a Toshiba (older) but the RW (which is supposed to play without finalization) will only play back on the recorder.

I just picked up a computer with a DVD +/- R RW and +R DL recorder so I may wind up having to convert over the + to a -. In theory you can edit on a +RW disk and when done erase it and use it over again!

If you didn't need a back up that might be a solution. There are sure a lot of options to play with.

Is there a data base somewhere with compatiable +R and +RW players listed? My Mintek is less than a year old and it doesn't really like +R and won't recognize the +RW and the Toshiba just gives "check disk" for the +RW.

There also seems to be some problems with various blanks. I picked up some +R ink jet printables on sale at Fry's and the record and play in the recorder but skip and pixalate in the Toshiba.

John

13. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Today I plugged in my 1997 Panasonic DVDa300 DVD player I had not tried the new DVD+ and - discs on and come to find out it plays them both. Go figure my 8 year old dvd player plays them but my 1 year old Pioneer that will do DVD-A and SACD will not play them at all![​IMG]

Wes