DVD recorder - why the time lag?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve.opus, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Steve.opus

Steve.opus Auditioning

I have an RCA DVD recorder model DRC8040N (no hard drive). Video hookup:

Dish PVR s-video out > DVDR s-video in

DVDR s-video out > Denon A/V receiver s-video in

Denon s-video monitor out > TV

This works ok, except it introduces a painfully long response time when I press buttons on the Dish remote. For instance, if I press the number 5 to change channels, it'll be 2-3 seconds before the 5 appears onscreen. The same lag applies when hitting pause or any other function. It's bad enough to be almost unusable.

Previously I had a Liteon 5005 DVDR. Hooked up the same way, it did not exhibit this problem (but it didn't decode closed captions, so no CC would appear when using it as a pass-thru in this way).

Any idea why this problem occurs, and what if anything can be done about it?

Thanks!

...Steve

2. Steve.opus

Steve.opus Auditioning

Having just experimented watching live TV, I now realize there's actually a 2-3 second audio and video delay (by comparison with a simulcast coax feed to a separate monitor). Obviously, this makes the pass-thru arrangement untenable. Any other way to hook this up and avoid the problem?

Thanks!

3. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I think your problem is the RCA in EE mode is encoding and decoding the signal before it leaves the unit thus the delay for the codec operation. You'd find you were missing edits by 3 seconds if you were pausing to take out commercials. I know in my own set-up in transfering tape to DVD that I have a monitor inline with the input to the recorder so I can get accurate start and stop points.

If you just use the recorder as a recorder and not a pass through device you'll have two advantages. 1. you won't have the delay, and 2. you won't have any quality loss due to the codec in the recorder.

John

4. Steve.opus

Steve.opus Auditioning

Thanks John. The satellite box has only one s-video out. How would I hook up the system without using the DVDR as a pass-thru?

By the way, I'm a newbie at this, what's EE mode?

...Steve