DVD Recorder - Technical Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnSni, Dec 8, 2003.

1. JohnSni

JohnSni Extra

I'm considering buying one of these and I have some questions.

1. Does everyone agree that buying the model with the HDD is worth the extra $$?

2. Some have Component IN and OUT....I thought these babies could only record in 480i? Will running these through component instead of S-Vid really help that much?

3. Can they record (and playback) 5.1 audio? The one I looked at had Digital Audio (Coax and Optical), tho I can't remember if it was in, out or both.

4. How would I hook this up? My DirecTV is via a Zenith Sat-520 box running to my Tosh 57H83 via DVI-HDCP. I don't have another video output when in this mode....any ideas?

5. If digital audio capable (see #3) I have another problem as my receiver has two (1 optical and 1 coax) and they are being used by 1-DVD and 2-STB(Directv). Is there a switcher available? One that's operable via remote?

I think that until we get HD combined with DVD-R, combined with HDD combined with TiVo combined with Directv its just a waste of time....your thoughts?

2. Bob Bre

Bob Bre Auditioning

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

How does the editing work? Is it easy to, for example, edit out the commercials from two episodes of a show and burn them onto a disc?

//Ken

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Editing is quite simple. The E80 has a feature called "shorten segment", where the video plays in a window on your display. You simply mark the start and end points of the section you want to eliminate, and the E80 removes the segment. You can remove multiple segments from a single editing session, thereby removing all commercials (or whatever you want to edit out).

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That's cool. Thanks.

//Ken

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter