DVD Recorder - Philips or Sony?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill McMah, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Bill McMah

Bill McMah Auditioning

Hello everyone - I am about to purchase a DVD recorder, primarily to transfer my old VHS tapes to DVD. From all that I have read so far it looks like the +R,+RW format may be the way to go.

I'm looking at the Philips DVDR75 and the Sony RDR-GX7, if price is the only factor then the Philips unit is for me. Does anyone have experiecne with either of these units, I know they are fairly new on the market.

Bill McMah

2. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

I have the GX7 and have been happy with it. I have an older HDTV monitor, and getting 480p output on any signal source with 3/2 pulldown was a nice extra.

However, I do not believe that it will burn DVD+R, only DVD+RW, DVD-RW and DVD-R.

jdg

3. andrew markworthy

Why? I think most users of this forum use DVD-R.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I would get a recorder with a hard drive. That leaves out the Sony and the Phillips. A hard drive makes your recording life a lot easier - after owning a Panasonic E80 (has hard drive) for several months, and a Phillips (no hard drive) before that, I would never consider a recorder without one.

On the other hand, dual-layer discs and recorders for the PC are close to being released, but only in the DVD+R/+RW formats. Standalones can't be far behind. DVD-R/-RW dual-layer recorders are nowhere in sight. Something to consider.

5. Bill McMah

Bill McMah Auditioning

Alan, Thanks for your feedback.
    I've debated about getting a unit with hard drive too but for now I am just interested in getting the old home videos preserved on DVD.
    Bill McMah

6. Dave-P

Dave-P Agent

I have the Sony. It works fine. No regrets. I'd buy it again.

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My DVDR 75 worked flawlessly capturing home video up until March when I screwed it up I think by doing an incorrect firmware upgrade. It stopped reading +R discs. Yes I should have left well enough alone. [​IMG]

I'm awaiting the return of it soon from Philips.

It really does a fine job copying from VHS, 8mm etc. Plus it's a fraction of the cost now of the Sony.

8. peggy

peggy Stunt Coordinator

I too was only interested in getting a recorder that could transfer my vhs to dvd but my husband insisted that if we were going to spend the money then we were going to spend a bit more and get the one with the hard drive. I have to say he was so right! I find I use it even when I am only transferring from vhs to dvd especially if I find something that has a snipet of a commerical in it.

9. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

you are spreading false information:
    Both DVD-rw and +RW have been announced.

+RW which isn't recognized by the DVD counsel is just coming out sooner.

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Robert: You wouldn't happen to recall where you read this? I haven't heard/read anything about dual layer DVD-R/RW's, but I sure would be happy to find out that they are coming. Any mention of standalones?

11. Ken_B

Ken_B Auditioning

I just bought a GX7 yesterday, and am quite pleased with it so far.
    I've had a Phillips 985 for about a year and a half and it's been to the repair center twice in that time (always a 2- to 3-week affair). When it started giving disk errors when recording (once again) this week, that was the last straw. Of course, individual results may vary.

I've given the GX7 an aggressive test run so far, recorded +RW, -R and -RW, all using "Save to VCR" from DirecTV DVR/TiVo. No problem except I didn't understand that "VR" format was newer and less compatible.

This set-up works for me:
    DirecTV DVR/TiVo to Line 1 input of GX7; Basic cable (for local channels) into GX7's RF-in; GX7 component video out with progressive scan to Toshiba 42H81 which up-converts acceptably.

Looking forward to a couple years out when I can have HDTV TiVo/DVR and recorder at more reasonable prices.