DVD Recorder -> Personal Player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Hardy, Jul 22, 2004.

1. David Hardy

David Hardy Auditioning

Please excuse a daft question from a newbie,I am a novice in the world of DVD recording, first post here.

Could someone please explain (in words that I might understand) what I would need to buy and what the procedure would be to produce a DVD recording of a TV programme that would play on my Panasonic portable DVD player, I assume a DVD reorder would do the job ??

What format. DVD+, DVD-RAM, I have no idea?

Do I have to 'finalise' a disk?

What about menu structure, and the adverts?

TIA

David
    UK

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

No problem David ... this is an easy one.

The simplist way to do what you are asking is to purchase a stand-alone DVD recorder. This box functions much like a VCR ... it accepts a cable (antenna) input signal and records to blank disks. In the USA, typical street prices for such a unit run from US$200 - $600.

In fact, Panasonic makes a great series of DVD recorders. The Panasonic series record to DVD-R (one time write) or DVD-RAM (rewritable). DVD-R (or DVD+R, for that matter) will probably play fine on your Panny portable after finalizing (a 3-4 minute process). DVD-RAM likely will NOT play on your portable (check the manual). However DVD-RAM will play on many Panny, Toshiba, & Samsung low cost home players

Other DVD Recorder manufacturers make units that record to [DVD-R / DVD-RW] or [RVD+R / DVD+RW]. These are fine too and their +R & -R recordings will probably play fine in your portable as I said.

The hardest decision you have to make is if you want to pay more (about 2x) for a DVD Recorder unit that has an internal hard disk drive (HDD). There are may advantages to this (I wish I had known). With the HDD, you can automatically record shows to the HDD, then later batch-transfer them [at higher speed] to DVD-R & finalize. You can edit [commercials out] and change the play order.

The one other point that I'll explain to you is that most DVD recorders generate very rudimentary, utilitarian menus and can NOT insert chapter stops where you want them. In my Panny (DMR-E60), chapters are typically written in 5-7 minute blocks. Each time you stop the recording process, you are creating a new "title" on the disk. You can instruct the final recording to "ignore" certain titles (i.e. very rudimentary editing).

Panasonic Recorders allow you to choose recording quality as follows:
    FR = "flexible recording" (i.e. fill the disk with the time I specify, optimal quality)
    XP = 1 hr/disc, best quality
    SP = 2 hr/disc, very good quality
    LP = 4 hr/disc, OK quality
    EP = 6 hr/disc, rather poor quality (compression artifacts)

hope this helps ...
    Scott

3. David Hardy

David Hardy Auditioning

Thank you Scott, just what I needed.

I have learned something I didn't know at all - that DVD-Ram is the same as CD-RW (or re-writable)

It would certainly seem sensible to go with a Panny recorder, is there a write once format that you would generally recommend (a tough one I know)?

Also you say antenna, in the UK we get analog signals down a TV aerial and digital from a satellite dish, I assume the DVD can record either of these, albeit the analog signal stuff we be of average quality?

Thanks
    David

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you go with a Panasonic recorder, the write-once format will be DVD-R. That's what Panasonic supports. Although it's a close question, DVD-R is probably the most widely supported write-once format.

M.

5. David Hardy

David Hardy Auditioning

Aah DVD-RW, that one too, I see (well sort of)

Thanks for the reply!