DVD Recorder owners, are you loving your machines or...?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jerome Grate, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

was it really worth the purchase. I starting to play with the idea, and my wife is kind of on board but not completely. I video tape my children on special events occasionally. I do some time shifting, but not to the extent that so would warrant a purchase. I have some great movies on S-VHS tapes and of course would transfer them, but that's starting to dwindle down since DVD releases are getting better and better. How do you guys or girls use you DVD recorder, do you find that the investment was worth it (eventhough you can't do HD), are you recording from satellite, digital cable, cable those shows on DVD and do you plan to watch it continuosly. Let me know to help me with my decision.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I purchased a Panasonic DMR-E80 for pretty much the same reasons you stated -- (1) copy some old home 8mm, Hi8mm and MiniDV videos to DVD, (2) copy some old VHS and SVHS personal recordings, and (3) dub a few pre-recorded VHS tapes that may never be released on DVD. I do very little timeshifting. Most of my TV viewing is sports and news, and I rarely timeshift sports (except Lions and Michigan football, if I'm not home). The recorder has allowed me to remove the vcr from the main equipment rack, though -- I only get it out if I need to dub something from SVHS/VHS to DVD now.

The Panny has worked out very well. I feel better having my irreplacable home recordings (vacations, weddings, family events) on a more sturdy format. I plan to also create some edited versions of a few of our vacations -- I have six hours of video for three separate trips, which is too long to be watched easily. So far, I've dubbed the source video to the E80's hard drive, but have yet to edit the video down to my desired 2:15 length for a single disc.

3. Jerome Grate

When recording on to disc your personal S-VHS/VHS movies, do you find the sound for instance to be more stable or is it really as stable as per the source. For example of course if the sound drops out on the VHS and copied on to the DVD I would expect that to follow, but is the sound overall a better sound since it's on a digital format? Am I wrong for calling it a digital format, and how is the sound when you use the coax or optical connection for audio. Can you also give me some movies that you thought sounded very good when using your DVD recorder.

4. Scott Merryfield

In my experience, the sound has ended up being identical to the source material. The Panny E80 will record the audio in either DD2.0 or PCM (I've only used the former) from an analog audio/video source. There are no digital audio inputs on consumer recorders, except for the firewire inputs that work with digital camcorders. Therefore, any audio dropouts that occur when playing back the SVHS/VHS tape during the dubbing process get recorded that way on the DVD-R. If you can successfully dub without any dropouts, though, subsequent playback via DVD-R will be as stable as any other DVD, of course.

The Dolby Surround audio on the Compleat Beatles VHS and Star Wars Trilogy widescreen VHS tapes turned out very well on DVD-R after I dubbed them. Those are the only sources with really high quality audio that I've dubbed to DVD-R.

5. Jerome Grate

Thanks Scott for your input, any other owners out there that wish to express their opinion on this topic, I'd like to read as it will help me make my decision. I'll add does the fact that the possibility of a HD-DVD recorder is eminent, do you guys wish you waited or is it one of those instances where you may see yourself replacing the old for the new at the appropriate time.

6. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I'm looking into DVD recorders for the first time and was just curious... what is time-shifting?

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Ahhhhhhhhh. OK.

Was it called time-shifting over 20 years ago? [​IMG]

Also, do DVD recorders have the ability to record on and continue adding as more programs/content become available or is that only dependant on the media (DVD-R/DVD-RW)?

Thanks Michael.

9. Michael Reuben

10. Jerome Grate

In regards to high quality, my understanding is that it's basically the same like SP to EP, correct.

11. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

12. Michael Reuben

13. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Scott: why don't you use PCM--disc space problems?

LJ

14. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

DVDs don't support HD resolutions - they are SD video only.

15. Scott Merryfield

16. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I for one love my Philips DVDR75 recorder. [​IMG]

Great features, great recordings, pretty darn easy to use, and it plays both +R and -R discs I burn on my PC (DVD backups). The Panny's rarely playback +R..main reason I skipped getting a Panny.

The Philips also offers a DVI input for digital camcorders and Component IN.

A great recorder IMHO.

I use it to record some offbeat HBO stuff I don't want to buy on DVD or just want to watch and erase later. I have it connected to my DirecTivo reciever (which for me negates the need for a DVD HD) and I also have my VCR hooked up to it to copy family videos.

Alfer

17. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Michael and/or Alf, since my TiVo is ALSO my satellite receiver, should I look into a recorder w/o a built-in HD?

18. Scott Merryfield

19. Jerome Grate

Sounds like a worth while investment, I'll record the t.v. shows on S-VHS (JVC 7600). But, it sounds to me that for me to get the best results, I would have to get a Hard disc recorder to do my editing, then record it on to DVD. My understanding is that with units like TIVO or DirecTivo, there's a monthly fee involved. Is it possible to have the Tivo record from the JVC's playback, do the editing and then load it on to DVD?

20. Michael Reuben