What's new

DVD Recorder Newb (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I'm new to the world of DVD recording...I'm getting a DVD burner soon, and am interested in DVD recorders.

Do DVD recorders operate a lot like a VCR? Can you record 1:1 copies in real time, or does it take longer?

I would want it mostly for recording TV shows or movies I've saved on my DirecTivo. I'm assuming it is, but is this legal? For example, I've got all episodes of Lost saved on my Tivo, and would like to make my own "DVD set" for future viewing, so I don't have to keep them on my Tivo forever.

How would it work in conjunction with my DirecTivo?

I'm the type who has a 10 year old 32" RCA TV and thinks it's just fine, so I wouldn't need the best by any means. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tim

PS- any FAQs you can point me to? Thanks.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Hi Tim,

I have the Pioneer 420 and Toshiba XS-32 recorders. They are wonderful, and I rarely touch the VCR now. Yes, they can be programmed much like a VCR, except the fast access, quality and editing capabilities are wonderful.

I don't have TIVO, so am not sure of the details of recording from there. You CAN do it in real time, I understand.

The AVS Forum has a nice section devoted to recorders where owners/would-be owners discuss all the little minutiae of recorders and brands:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...hp?forumid=106

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Tim, I got a DVD recorder a couple of months ago and it does in fact operate exactly like a VCR. I have archived a few 8MM tapes on it so far as well as some VHS tapes I had laying around and the results are great. I have a unit without a hard drive so it is basically exactly like a VCR. Anyway, I like it a lot.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
For recording off of TiVO, you would just hook up a set of outputs from the TiVO to the inputs of the DVD Recorder. Turn on record on the recorder, then select the program on TiVO and perform a "Save to VCR" (the term on TiVO, regardless of the device connected). This recording would be in real time.

Alternatively, there are combo machines out there that combine a DVD Recorder with TiVO functionality. Though these machines may not have as much capability in terms of editing, like the stand-alone DVD recorders, it does offer nice, easy TiVO-like functionality when watching DVDs. And you can record in hi-speed modes.

You might want to check out www.tivocommunity.com for more info on the TiVO/recorders.....

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help.

Jeff - I'm actually with DirecTV with a DirecTivo, I'm pretty sure they don't make them with DVD recorders built in. I think it's a case of DTV really wanting to keep their content to themselves.

So recorders with HDs - do they basically work like a Tivo? Obviously you'll just have the single tuner, and no "Season Pass," but you just record live TV like you do with Tivo? If that's the case, a HD may not do me much good?

The firewire port - what's it for? Can you upload content from the HD to your computer? Or is it just a one-way thing, for digital camcorders and the like (I don't know if digi camcorders even use firewire, just speculating)?

Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it.

Tim

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Tim, I guess it would depend on whether you are interested in archiving programs onto DVD or not; otherwise, the TIVO's "watch and erase" capability may be all you need. Because I don't have TIVO, I use the recorders to record my weekly shows and other shows of interest. I can then either just erase them, or edit out commercials then burn to DVD for keeping.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks Elizabeth...I should have clarified. What I was getting at is that if I could record DVDs off of my DirecTivo, I could save money and just use the DirecTivo as my HD, instead of buying a recorder with one built in.

Archiving shows would be my primary reason for getting a recorder. :)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Elizabeth - one more question - DV input = firewire, correct? I saw the other thread where you mentioned the DV input on the Pioneer 520. What does this allow you to do? Would you be able to transfer things to your computer? Or is it one-way? Thanks,

Tim

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Tim,

I'm looking at the Pioneer manual now. They just refer to it as a "DV IN/OUT Jack" -- I don't think that's the same as Firewire? Sorry -- I don't know much about that type of connection. Anyway, the only noted usage in the manual is for connection of a camcorder (signal must be DVC-SD format). It is two-way, going from camcorder to recorder, or vice versa.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Thanks Elizabeth.

Where did you get your 420? Reading on the AVS forum, it sounds like it's a UK model. However, Costco.com had the 420 on sale for $250! I just bought one, hopefully it's not a case where they only had so many in stock and I'll get a reply saying sorry, none left. I figured for that price, I couldn't pass it up. If I ended up wanting to get one in a month, I'd kick myself if I'd passed the offer up. Worst case I figure I can ebay it for more than that anyways.

Thanks again for the great help!

Tim

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Tim,

I got my 420 at Costco.com in July. I know they have that GREAT bargain now -- what a wonderful deal! (I paid $399 plus shipping for mine.) I frequent AVS forum as well, and I don't agree that it's a UK model. I think it's just a pared down version of the US 520 which is made for Costco and possibly other "discount" type of outlets.

Hope your order goes through, and I'd love to hear your comments!

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
So your 420 had all the "American" inputs/outputs, and was NTSC?

The order went through, haven't checked if my card's been charged yet, but at least I got that far. Once it ships I'll breath a sigh of relief. ;)

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the 420 as well. Seemed like a really good deal and I was feeling like Tim that they might sell out by the time I decided if we could afford it or not and then I am looking at Tivo or $300 to $500 models again.

We just got rid of a DVR through our cable company cause we are trying to cut down some of our monthly payments (new baby). My wife really loved the ability to pause live TV. Can these types of recorders mainly the 420 do that? Or is it strictly like a VCR and have to wait.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Chris,

I've never had a DVR, but I'm under the impression that they have some sort of "buffer" for what you're watching to allow you to pause live TV. A DVD recorder doesn't quite work that way, but you DO NOT have to wait for the program to finish recording. They allow you to start watching a program from the beginning while it is still recording the rest.

For example, I HATE to sit through commercials. So I will let the recorder start timer recording "Lost" at 7:00. At around 7:25, I can sit down, and "chase play" -- start watching from the beginning, skip all the commercials and finish watching a little bit after the on-air program actually ends, but saving all that commercial time and aggravation.

I RARELY watch live TV because I can't stand the thought of all the time wasted on commercials!

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Well, my order went through and has shipped, so only a few days and I'll have a new toy :D . Any advice on getting started, Elizabeth? What kind of media do you recommend? Thanks.

Tim

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
How exciting to get a new "toy"! :D I noticed the item was pulled off the Costco website this Saturday, so I'm glad yours shipped, Tim.

I've had very nice success with DVD-Rs from Ridata (4X), TDK (4X) and Sony (8X). (It's so fast to burn onto the 8X -- can do about 2:15 of content in 8 minutes!) CompUSA had a nice sale on the Sony in yesterday's ad -- I think $39.99 for 100. (Of course, knowing them, they're probably already sold out.) I've mainly used -RWs from Ridata (4x). (I record so many things that I transfer things I won't get to right away onto -RWs to free up hard drive space.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks