DVD recorder/HDTV/Satellite connectivity question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jim*G, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Jim*G

Jim*G Auditioning

Existing Setup:
    Direct-view 16:9 HDTV monitor, progressive scan DVD player, satellite receiver
    The satellite receiver (non-HD) is connected to the TV via AV cables, while the DVD player is connected to the TV via component video (480P).

New Setup:
    Same as above, but replacing DVD player (inexpensive model) with DVD recorder
    Presumably, satellite receiver will output signal to DVD recorder via AV cables, while DVD recorder will output signal to TV via component video (480P).

The question is: how does the satellite TV signal go from the DVD recorder to the TV? Would it just use the component video feed? That seems a bit odd and I would like to avoid, for instance, having to turn on the DVD recorder just to watch live TV. I can’t use both component and AV outputs simultaneously from the DVD recorder, can I? (i.e. component for DVD and AV for satellite TV)

I would also prefer not to downgrade the satellite signal by using coax. I have noticed the satellite TV signal looks much sharper when connected to the TV via AV cables, as compared to coax. This connection was simple when it went straight into the TV from the satellite receiver.

But with the pending addition of the DVD recorder, I expect that the satellite signal would need to first go to the DVD recorder and THEN the TV. Or is this not necessarily true? For instance, can the satellite signal go into the TV first and then on to the DVD recorder? The TV DOES have an AV output. BUT then would the TV need to be left on to record something? I would like to avoid this also.

Here are the choices for inputs and outputs:

HDTV: (inputs) – component, s-video, AV, coax; (outputs) – AV
    DVD recorder: (inputs) – AV, coax; (outputs) – component, s-video, AV, coax (pass thru only)
    Satellite receiver: (outputs) – AV, coax

The various manuals have different connectivity suggestions, and none of the diagrams covers a setup like the one I described above, even though it’s probably not that uncommon. Can anyone out there please help me out? This may be a very simple question, but I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

the dvd recorder won't pass hd through, so go component from receiver to tv, standard a/v to recorder and component out to tv. What receiver is that? it doesn't have dvi?the dvi picture is a whole lot better than the componet on any receiver I've used it with

3. Jim*G

Jim*G Auditioning

In follow-up to my earlier inquiry:
    The satellite receiver is an older model, so it doesn't even have component video out. Eventually I hope to upgrade to an HD-satellite receiver, but for now I'll just have to make use of what I have.

The HDTV monitor does not have a DVI input either. It's a lower-end Samsung direct-view 16:9 model. Overall I'm happy with its performance, and it's fine for my existing setup. Eventually I'll probably look to upgrade this too. Just not real soon. Thanks!

4. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

ok I missunderstood and thought you were adding an hd receiver