1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

dvd recorder,camcorder question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by rick stein, Jul 27, 2003.

1. rick stein

rick stein Stunt Coordinator

This may sound like a dumb question but i have never owned a camcorder. The question is do camcorder's have audio video input's or just output's. I'm looking at getting a camcorder and also a dvd recorder but if the dvd camcorder's they have out now have input's i could use that as my recorder. So help me out guy's is this a possibility?

2. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Yes, some camcorders do have inputs. Often they have one set of AV connections which act as input in record mode and output in playback mode. But you need to check the model you want for sure. Also I have read some so-so reviews of some of the dvd camcorders, you may want to look at them (PC mag reviewed the Hitachi).

Also don't the dvd camcorders use the mini discs (1/2 the time of a 4.7G full size disc)?

I would check the costs and consider a mini-dv camcorder (like Sony TRV-22) and get a dvd burner for your pc. You probably are approaching the same price but may have a little more flexibility. The "deals" forum often has dvd burners on sale. I would make sure I get a newer model though (usually what's on sale cheap at Office Max are old models). The Sony TRV-22 has analog digital conversion, you can hook up the analog input to it and it streams digital dv over firewire or usb to your pc without using a tape. You can then capture full video in dv quality and then save to dvd. May take longer, but I think you will have better results.

3. rick stein

rick stein Stunt Coordinator

Thanks phil i actually already have a dvd recorder for my computer but i can't any signal into the computer. I have that videoh thing for but every time i time i try to install it it says installation failed. So i'm pretty fed up with it in fact i have kept buying stuff for the stupid computer that don't work. After much more time and much less money i have come to the conclusion that computer's suck. I'm sorry i do appreciate the response phil i was just ranting. I was actually looking at a panasonic not sure of the model number but it end's 30. Do you know if it use's regular dvd-r's or mini one's.

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I wouldn't bother with the videoh stuff. If you have firewire or usb2.0, you should be able to import directly from most dv camcorders. But you will need some cpu power to do the editing. I haven't found a good software pkg yet. Not sure how old your pc is?

Here's Panasonic's links: vdr-m30

It uses mini dvd-r and dvd-ram.details

I just got the Panasonic E80 recorder with the 80G hard drive and like it so far. The built in editing is pretty simple; you ca't do anything fancy but it fits the purpose.