DVD Recorder and display format question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kathy_parsons, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kathy_parsons

kathy_parsons Auditioning

hi all,

new to the forum, and very interesting it looks too...have been going through the three page faq while waiting for my membership to be approved, and am now happy to post a question thats bugging me a bit.

im shortly going to get a dvd recorder, probably a philips dvdr70...tho which i choose at the moment isnt really my question.

i will be using it to archive some of my old vhs tapes, and then copy these onto the pc for editing and re-recording just the parts i want onto dvd.

im in the uk with PAL display standard.the thing is, some of these tapes are in NTSC format. my vcr and tv are both multistandard, but my question is that if i take the composite feed from the vcr and record using the dvd recorder.....will it record this as NTSC, will it record as PAL with no problems...or will it just not record at all?!

i can change these during editing so that isnt a problem...so long as it records something.

thanks for any advice on this [​IMG]

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Welcome to HTF!

My own experience is limited to NTSC recorders. They need an NTSC input and will record it in NTSC format. It sounds like your VCR allows you to specify the output format; so that shouldn't be a problem.

I assume there are recorders that record and play in PAL, but I'm not familiar with them. So far, I'm not aware of any dual-format recorders, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

M.

3. kathy_parsons

kathy_parsons Auditioning

thanks for the reply...

my vcr is dual-format, but doesnt allow the user to actually select the format, so when i play the NTSC tapes, the output is NTSC...which is not a problem for me as my tv is multistandard also.

this sounds like it could be a problem then since the dvd recorder would be a PAL machine, and from what you're saying, it would only record a PAL signal?