DVD record through A/V receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff TC, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Jeff TC

Jeff TC Extra

I have had a Philips DVD recorder (DVDR75) connected directly with a TV and a Philips Directivo. It worked great. But I recently added a home theater a/v receiver, and can’t figure out how to integrate the DVDR into the system. It plays DVDs fine, but I can’t get it to record from the Tivo .

Here’s the setup. DVDR out to receiver “DVD in.” Directivo into receiver “Video 1 in.” Then, “Video 1 out” on the receiver goes back into the DVDR. I was assuming that whatever goes into “Video 1 in” goes out of “Video 1 out,” but I guess that might be wrong… because when I select the DVDR on the receiver, and tell it to show me what’s coming into it so I can record it, the screen is blank. Could it be that is because what the receiver is sending out is whatever is selected on the receiver (so, essentially, the DVDR is looking at what it is sending out, which is nothing)?

Those are my theories, anyway, although there is a very strong possibility that I am totally clueless about all of this! If I am, and there is a way to make this work, please let me know what suggestions you might have.

(Yes, I can route the Directivo signal directly to the DVDR, bypassing the a/v receiver, but I would prefer not to. With one of the Directivo RCA outs already going to the a/v receiver, it leaves me with only the RF out to go directly to the TV. I want a signal to go directly to the TV, so the kids can watch satellite and Tivo without firing up the a/v system, but I also want the picture to be better than I get with a signal routed through RF. But that may be what I settle for.)

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Try this:

Connect Video Out on the DVD recorder to Video 1 In on the receiver.

Connect Video In on the DVD recorder to Video 1 Out on the receiver.

3. Jeff TC

Jeff TC Extra

Thanks, I'll try that. I was connecting the DVDR to "DVD in" because it has a digital (coax) and "Video 1" does not. (Another DVD player is connected to "Video 2," which also has digital audio inputs.) I guess there will have to be a tradeoff somewhere...

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The receiver will send whatever source that is currently selected out to all the outputs.

If you have the Direct TV hooked up to Video 1, then you need Video 1 selected to record to the DVDR. When you select DVDR to see if it is recording then it is using the DVDR input as the source, and hence seeing nothing.

If you want to monitor the record you are going to temporarly hook the DVDR up to the TV directly (or a different one) that way the receiver can have Video 1 selected.