DVD rack question...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adam.Heckman, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I hope this is the right place to put this, but if it's not, mods do your thing.

My better half and I are looking for a new DVD rack. We've outgrown our entertainment center's built in rack, now that we're up to about 80 DVDs. We're tired of looking at the chinsy looking wal-mart brand stuff. Is there any recommendations here for a decent rack? Maybe even a tall rack with doors (girls idea)? Budget is a concern, but we've spent a considerable amount on the DVDs, so we should have something decent to show them off.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. TonyGricar

TonyGricar Agent

if you're handy, and want to avoid a cheap look, how about adding dvd slots to an existing cabinet, drawers, or any other furniture that could be modified for them? you can buy dvd holder strips (6' lengths) from rockler.com and mount them horizontally or vertically. if you're more handy, you could build a simple tower and add them.

please god, someone tell me to leave the room when my wife is watching trading spaces...

tony

3. DeanGo

DeanGo Auditioning

salamanderdesigns.com/media/index.htm Has some good stuff.

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Trading Spaces is just _evil_. It's what gave me the idea for Bogie's Bunker... Brown carpet, olive drab cabinets, shelving and and woodwork, khaki drywall, and a black ceiling. Speakers are going to be olive drab, with stenciling (speaker, loud, 1 each). The bar area will be paneled in the back with pieces of old ammo crates.

I'm going to build the shallow DVD shelving into the walls, along with deeper shelving for books, etc... Old military rifles (M1s, K98s, etc.) will be displayed around the room.