DVD-R vs DVD-R/W How to use?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony Chiu, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

Nov 21, 2003

I recently purchased a Sony DVD recorder. This recorder does NOT have a hard drive.

Here's my question:

If I were to archive a bunch of clips onto a DVD-R/W...THEN decide I want to put those clips onto a DVD-R (for permanent storage), how do I accomplish this without a hdd within the recorder?
    I would prefer to do this with the standalone recorder.

Note: I have a PC with a Sony DVD burner and DVD player.
    If necessary, how can I copy my DVD - R/W onto a DVD-R?

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Apr 23, 2000
    You could perhaps use something like Roxio or Nero or DVD Decrypter(freeware) to burn it. That's how I made copies of home movies for friends.
  3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

May 30, 2003
    On a PC you copy the files from the source DVD(R/W) onto your PC's hard disk into a temporary directory - you will need up to 4.7GB free space for that. You then use a regular burning program like Nero to burn the contents of the temporary directory to a new DVD(R/W). I just use my PC for both recording and burning - its faster and a lot cheaper than standalone DVD recorders. Just use a PC TV tuner/capture card that has software that schedules recording to hard disk in DVD compatible MPG2 format, then use a DVD author software to put recorded programs onto a DVD-R/RW. The authoring software can even edit out commercials. You don't have to record on a standalone and then move the disc to a PC and have to copy it - just record right on the PC itself! I saved at least $600 using the PC instead of buying a standalone DVD recorder.