DVD-R use for recording and playback of HDTV: what gear and discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Mar 1, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I am considering getting a DVD-R unit for my HTPC and need a bit of experienced advice on which unit to get and which discs to buy. I will be using this to offload my HiPix recorded HDTV movies onto DVD-R.

Playback will be via my Panasonic RP-91, so please consider compatability with that unit when you make your recommendations. Thanks for your help!

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Is that even possible? Can DVD-R sustain a bit rate necessary to record (and play back) HD?

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You probably can't record directly onto the DVD-R. HDTV is 19 (or 25?) Mbits/sec, and 1x DVD is only 10ish Mbits/sec. So maybe if you had a 2x burner, which is available, you might be able to squeeze it in, but it's risky.

So you could record the transport stream onto the hard disc, and then burn at your leisure.

But a regular DVD player, even one that does progressive like the Panasonic RP-91, can't play an HDTV transport stream. A data disc with a MPEG file is not a properly authored DVD, the data stream is the wrong format, and HDTV MPEG does not match DVD MPEG.

//Ken

4. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

go to www.avsforum.com and head on over to their HTPC area...
    there's a program there that can do something along those lines..
    but remember, if you want it to play on a regular dvd player, then you'll have to re-encode your HD to a much lower bitrate, thereby negating the whole point of HD..

5. Les_D

Les_D Auditioning

If you have the time, there are a few people over at AVS that are using DiVX to compress the HD files to a size that WILL fit an entire movie onto a single disk.
    They have been playing with it for a while now and seem to have quite good results. (is that a sentance?)
    Of course, you will have to use the PC for playback....
    try THIS link

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DVD is 480P only, you cannot do HD off of a set top DVD deck. Only if you play the file off of a DVD-ROM drive in a PC could you store it like that