DVD-R recording quality

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Mac, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    I have been experimenting recording laserdiscs and have found the quality to drop noticeably at the 2 hour and 14 minute mark (Panasonic E50). 2 hours 6 min. was the longest prior to that and it looks great. Those of you making personal copies of movies may want to omit studio intros, end titles, trailers etc. to maintain picture quality on the longer flicks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

That's the outer limit (and maybe then some) of a single-disc recording at SP quality; so I'm not surprised.

M.

3. Rob Mac

Rob
    Maybe I jumped the gun here. I was using Memorex DVD-R discs and they were working great so I bought more. The new ones had slight packaging layout differences. The first disc was grainy at 2 hrs 14 min. The second one, also grainy, froze up during recording, jumped out of Flex. Record mode and began recording from zero 2/3 of the way thru. Won't playback properly. Could be a bad batch.

4. andrew markworthy

I'd beg to disagree - rather better would be to split the movie over two discs (let's face it, until a couple of years ago we were happy enough to do this with laserdiscs and VCDs). That way, you have a pristine copy of *everything*, and if DVD-Rs improve in the future (and that is surely going to happen) you can then copy the two discs onto one new one.

5. Rob Mac

Rob
    Using a stand alone recorder, digitally copying your copies is something you can't do.

6. Michael St. Clair

Nope, but you could do a Nero Recode (or DVDShrink) on a PC. Let's be realistic, PC burners are already down to $100 for a quality drive, and they make the perfect companion to settop recorders.

Actually, once the dual-layered discs come out, most 2-disc DVDRs could be re-authored onto a dual-layered disc without re-encoding. Keep the size of your double-disc sets down to 8.5GB (instead of the 9.4GB max of two current DVD-R).

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Since were talking about the E50, how do you guys set your input? I have been experimenting with the Lighter / darker setting for the inputs, and cant really make a decision. On 99% of what Ive tried, Lighter looks the best, but when putting my LDs onto DVD-R, the darker setting seems to improve the image somewhat. Black Levels certainly look better.

8. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

I did quite a bit of research after initially purchasing my E50 and the consensus seems to be:

Input - Darker
    Video & SVideo Output - Lighter
    Component Output - Normal

I've used these settings with all of my recordings and everything looks great.

I *think* if you set the input to lighter, you're basically reproducing the black level bug (washed out picture) found on earlier panny models.

Here's a good thread regarding the subject:

lighter/darker panny settings

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    thanks for the link. But when copying some VHS recordings in DARKER mode, the picture becomes far too dark. My tv is fully calibrated, too.