DVD-R or DVD+R ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C Brown, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I am just getting into DVD recording. I haven't yet seen an answer to this one yet (or ... maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet [​IMG] ).

What are the differences between these two?

If I get a recorder that can record both, any advantage to one or the other? Compatibility with DVD players? Cost of media? Is the media the same, just a different format?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

There is no essential feature difference as far as I know. The -R format is much more likely to play in other DVD players though. I think that's also true for the -RW format.

Good info here:
    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/...sExplained.asp

or go google....

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Most any DVD player made in the 21st Century is going to play DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW. (DVD-RW is actually much less compatible, especially with recordings made in "VR" mode.)

There are many DVD drives and DVD recorders that will handle both the "dash or minus" and "plus" platforms for recording, too. Check out recent Sony and Panasonic models.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Awesome. I did some google searching, and found exactly the same thing as what you both say. Thanks.

At least one reference I found said that +R material was more expensive than -R, but I don't know if that might have been an old data point. I get my recorder later this week, and then I'll go look for prices on the media. [​IMG]

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

There is no difference in price, at least in the Las Vegas area.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, I just checked BB today, and same price. Probably an older data point from when +R was newer.

7. MikeySmith

MikeySmith Extra

I have had much more success with +R playing in my various dvd players. Way too many issues with the -R

8. MikeySmith

MikeySmith Extra

also it seems to be harder to get -R these days. (not that I want them [​IMG] )

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Interesting. I just got a batch of -R's, but I'm not married to them. Will have to definitely test them out on the players that I can find. Thanks.

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    It really seems to just be a slight difference in compatibility. So small as to be insignificant. It think it is a bit more of a difference on RW media, with + having the advantage.

As far as prices, at retail stores it almost always seems to be the same for both formats, but -R is often cheaper online. -RW also seems to be almost always more expensive, and rather difficult to find. I have burned a couple hundred +R media and at least 3 or 4 hundred -R and find absolutely no difference in compatibility. MikeySmith, I suspect your issues with - media are due to something other than the format.

11. Kenny WH

Kenny WH Stunt Coordinator

+R's do seem the most widely accepted format. That said...my brother's panny(rp-52) will ONLY take -R's. He learned it the hard way by buying a $40 pack of DVD+R's.[​IMG]

On the other hand my Toshiba and Sony(newer p-scan models) and Pioneer(old 414 model) dvd players seem to run both formats just fine.

12. Melissa

Melissa Extra

I use -R myself...it seems compatible with most DVD devices.

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

-R has been around a few years longer than +R. So I would imagine that -R is slightly more compatible with more players.

14. RaymondSteiner

RaymondSteiner Stunt Coordinator

My portable DVD (Initial) don't play DVD+R, so for me, DVD-R. So far not a single problem with them (stay away from generics / or brand "outsourced")

15. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

From what I've read, the only difference is that -R is defined and is part of the DVD recording standard, while +R is not. That's why you'll find so many of the cheaper recorders do +R, you're not paying for the -R license. This is what I read anyways.

I think you'd only run into problems playing +R if you had a much older player. It seems most new players can play both. I don't see why that would change in the future.

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

-R seems to be more widely used. The majority of the stand alone DVD recorders (such as the ones made by Panasonic) use the -R. Most of the bigger names use that. While a lot of the smaller brands are +R or both.

As for the availability, I have had no problem finding -R. Staples, Best Buy, Wal Mart, they all carry them.

And compatibility, most newer DVD players play both.

17. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Same with my rp-62. Also, it won't read -RW (haven't tried +RW).

18. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

I have spent days reading posts about DVD recorders before I just ordered the Panasonic ES10- $167.95 at Onecall.com. Sweet deal. I am replacing a Philips 985 recorder which died. Philips was the leader in +R, +RW recording. Since I still have a lot of blank +R I wanted a recorder that would do both. Panasonic's newer models now record in +R and -RW which they didn't previously. Of course it also does -R and DVD-RAM. It will play but not record +RW. I don't think the (+) format is as widely used at the (-) format. +RW is definately the most versatile and easy to use like a VCR. I have researched a lot of players and more of them record in (-) than (+) format. Playback compatability is very similiar for the two formats.
    Again, the majority of DVD recorders lean toward the(-) format with more of them starting to support (+).

19. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hello, all

I'm new to this section of the HTF Bds (a "vet" at the TV/DVD Software Bd [​IMG] )

I'm considering buying my first DVR and am looking at the Sony RDR-HX900 unit. I have a couple of general-DVD recording questions:

- Which format (+R/-R) is the one that you can re-record over the same DVD (as we used to do with the VHS tapes)? If this (re-recording using the same disk) is something that can be done, is there a "lifetime" # of recordings that can be done on the same disk before seeing any picture quality issues appearing?

- Is there a marked picture-quality difference between the different recording speeds that can be used when recording DVD's? I got the impression that this is "yes" to this question after doing some "Google'ing" for general-DVD-recording answers.

- I will be recording mainly from the hard drive (with the Sony unit) and then transferring anything that I want to keep to a DVD disk. I'd heard somewhere that, when doing this, there may be a problem viewing a disk that's been recorded on the Sony DVR (or any other DVR?) , on any other DVD player. Do DVR's "code" DVD's when recorded on their unit thus dis-allowing playback on other DVD players?

20. Tim Sly

Tim Sly Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    -R/+R are only write once. Once they are finalized they are compatible with nearly all newer DVD players.
    -RW/+RW are rewritable DVDs and are compatible with some DVD players. Usually the DVD player info will tell what formats it can read.
    The bitrate that you record at makes a difference in the video quality. If you use 1 hour mode it is the highest quality but you get only 1 hour on a DVD. 2 hour mode is very good and you probably won't notice any picture quality difference. When you get to 3-4 hour modes, DVD recorders vary in their quality. My Panasonic ES10 looks excellent at 4 hour mode, almost identical to the original source. You should have no problem recording off a DVR.
    I record off my Directv HD Tivo DVR all the time in 2-4 hour mode and it looks good. From VHS the quality isn't there but it is the source material.
    When you buy media to record on get good brands like Verbatim, Maxell, Sony. Off brands aren't as reliable but some can be excellent. Check out forums that discuss your DVR/DVD recorder and see what media works best for it.
    Good luck.
    Tim