DVD-R MP3 play on standalone DVD players.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian Fernandes, May 16, 2002.

1. Adrian Fernandes

Adrian Fernandes Auditioning

I've searched the web and looked through the forum here and nobody is able to conclude whether or not this works? I've got an extensive MP3 collection, and a Panasonic DVD-R/DVD-RAM burner and am wondering if players like the Panasonic RV31 will comprehend the disc? I did a test burn last night, but the media I used was bad and had a hard time being read in my DVD-ROM drive on my computer (would spin up and "click") so that test wasn't successful.

Cheers,

Adrian

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I've played MP3s CDRs on my panny rp56. Can't say it sounded all that good, but its nice for parties.
    I think some players don't like blue or green disks. Don't know much about it. Check here...
    www.vcdhelp.com

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I like the RP56 and RV31 as DVD players, but they are really pretty lousy MP3 players (same goes for the RP91 unfortunately). From the players I have experience with, my current favorites would be the Toshiba SD2800 and SD3750. They don't have problems with some tracks like the Panny's do and offer full random play - even within folders.

In terms of DVD-R, I think players that read the directory contents into memory first (like the Toshiba's) might not have enough memory for all the songs you can cram onto a DVD disc. Other players, like the Malata N900R take ages just to read the 148 songs I have on one disc. It'll definitely be hit or miss.

4. Yiannis

Yiannis Auditioning

I heard that the Apex 1100 plays mp3s burnt on a dvd-r.

It costs $70something...

5. Han

Han Second Unit

What's the typical bitrate limit for mp3 files to be playable on these DVD players? 192, 256, 320?

6. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i have the Panny RP56 and mine plays bitrates from 128 on up to 320 with no problems. haven't tried using bitrates any lower than 128. Panny's do have problems with mp3's encoded using the LAME encoder. that's the "hiccuping" people refer to.

7. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

There are only very rare DVD players that will play MP3 off DVD-R. The Apex 1100 is supposed to be one of them. The Panasonic RP91 does NOT understand MP3 on a DVD-RAM or DVD-R. Conversely, but similarly, the Panasonic RP91 doesn't understand DVD burned to a CD either (miniDVD).

My Panasonic RP91 plays CBR and VBR up to 320. Dunno about the minimum since I don't use it much for MP3. I do know my Apex chokes on files under 64. I have encoded with Xing (in the past) and Fraunhofer and both work fine, although Xing sounds worse in certain situations - problem of the encoder, not the player. Irrelevant for me, though, since I encode everything at 256 CBR non-joint stereo these days, for my computer, and use the original CD on my stereo system. Anything less and I find the quality wanting.

Fortunately though (if you have a Panasonic DVD-RAM/-R burner), the RP91 does understand DVD-Video on DVD-RAM, so you can use the RP91 to test your videos on DVD-RAM before burning to final DVD-R. I do this all the time to test picture slideshow DVDs I make for family and friends. This DVD-RAM feature is not useful for RV32 owners though. You can test with DVD-RAM on your computer, but this is not a good test since many computers are much less picky than set top players. What works on a computer may not necessarily work on a set top player.

As for DVD media. Dunno what you used, but DVD-RAM can't be read in most DVD-ROM drives. The Toshiba M1612 can read them though. If DVD-R, there's a lot of very low quality DVD-R out there. The best name brand bet is Apple DVD-R media. Good consistent burns, at $5 a pop. I use this for important stuff, and a local supplier for US$2.60 DVD-R which I've tested to be pretty good. I've seen a low of very bad DVD-R out there though.