DVD-R Media questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lloyd, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I just got the new Sony DVD-+R/-+RW drive and I have some questions on the media to buy.

What do I get? I know dvd-r is the most common but what is the difference w/ full authoring and non-authoring? (Besides the $ difference)

I'm looking at using it for data, backing up some heavily viewed dvds and making my own from vhs.

I'm not sure if backing up your own dvds is legal or not or if it can even be done easily.

Thanks for the help,
    Rob Lloyd

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

If you have to ask, DVD-R for Authoring is not for you [​IMG] or that drive. If you go with DVD-R, you want the one for General use.
    As long as the DVD players you use can read them, +RW and +R might take less time to write, because they spend less time in finalizing the disc. But you also have to consider the write speed (1x, 2x, 4x, etc.) for the actual content, which again varies.
    You might as well shop by brand (which actually means shopping by whoever actually manufactures the discs for that brand) and price.
    It is physically impossible to make a direct copy of a commercially produced DVD; the area of the disc that holds the encryption keys is pre-burned on the blank, so the copy will not play. You must then circumvent the copy protection, which is currently illegal.
    //Ken

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

My sony drive DRU500A drive has had no trouble burning the el-cheapo DVD-R and dvd-rw disks for either data or movies. I've yet to get a bad burn. It didn't like the Memorex +R disks though.

I'm not sure if backing up your own dvds is legal or not or if it can even be done easily.

Difficult ranges from very easy to somewhate hard, depending on the particular DVD in question, but I won't get into that here.

As for the legality, the DVD people will tell you its illegal. Copyright law has traditionally however allowed backups for personal use. What the final verdict will be is yet to be decided by the courts.

5. Rob Lloyd

Thanks guys. I know my dvd players are dvd-r so I'll get the general use ones. I wasn't sure if you needed authoring ones (at least that's the marketing tag) for movies.

Why are 5 packs in jewel cases $2.25@ and 50 on a spindle are over $3? Just ranting...

I'll have to check into the backup thing some other time.

-Rob

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Backing up your DVDs is illegal under the DMCA, legal under fair use. It's not to be discussed on the HTF

DVD-R Authoring is designed for commercial production, and the discs do not have the copy protection sectors zeroed and the mechanisms can write to them. Considering that 1 disc is more than just about any single DVD, and that you cannot do more than 1 layer on DVD-R of any format, backing up DVDs is rather pointless. If you're that worried, buy another copy, it's cheaper.

And if you're thinking of doing so onto 2 DVD-R discs, well, frankly the dozens of hours you're going to spend doing it is ludicrous, just stay legal and just buy another copy

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

DVD-General drives and media ==> for consumers, crippled so as to be unable to write to CSS decryption key area.

DVD-Authoring drives and media ==> very expensive, but not deliberately crippled in this way.

Neither type of drive can create single-sided, dual-layered discs (the most common kind for prerecorded movies). Those discs are manufactured by gluing together two individually-pressed layers at a disc replication plant.

8. Rob Lloyd

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just stick to making my own dvd's and for hard drive backups.

Too bad they don't make it easier. I was thinking for $2.50 I can make a copy of a dvd that I play all the time to show off the system. It gets tossed around a lot (even though I'm careful, some guests are not).
    Is it legal or even practical to make your own snippets dvd from certain scenes of various movies? Sort of like a trailer or the DTS demo dvd but the good scenes that make people go wow.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Not under the DMCA, but it is under fair use

So until the DMCA is overturned, no