DVD-R, DVDR+ Burners what is THE best period for home/office use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleS, Jan 2, 2003.

1. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

My company has agreed that we need a DVD Burner and they are buying so what is the best option for burning DVD's? I want something that will do all the formats DVDR, DVDR+, DVD-RW, DVD-RW+. etc. It also needs to be internal but price is not really important as long as it is under 1K. So what is the best Brand and unit that is out Right now?

KyleS

2. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

There is only one drive (that I know of that is reasonably priced) that does DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW...the Sony DRU500a:
    DRU500A @ Sonystyle.com

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

So then if Sony makes the only drive would it just be best to go with a DVD R+/RW+ ? And if so what is the best out of those?

Would the Sony still be the best option?

KyleS

4. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I personally just bought the Sony. Haven't burned anything with it yet though.

5. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

You can visit DVD+ReWritable for some very biased opinions on DVD- vs DVD+.
    Like Chris, I decided on the Sony. It wasn't that much more expensive than a DVD+/DVD- only burner. It's "in the mail". If there's still some interest, I'll let you know how well it works for me when it gets here.
    I read up on all things DVD for a few weeks before I decided. I got the feeling that for data storage, there's no advantage to DVD+ over DVD-. For video, right now, there's also no advantage. In the future, it seems, DVD+ might be better suited. This for quality. DVD+ seems to burn faster than DVD-, both on a per-bit basis and because DVD+ doesn't need to write lead-out tracks.
    I'm definitely leaning towards using DVD- more, at least for doing backups, since the media is cheaper.
    You should also visit the DVD Demystified FAQ and read up, specifically section 4.3.

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Well from the reviews I have read online and for safety sake we ordered the Sony thanks for the info Dave. The price was just about the same as the HP units that do not do all the formats and it allows us some flexibility when it comes to buying media. I will let you guys know how it works out when I get it.

KyleS

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I second the opinion of the DRU500, with one caveat:
    It doesn't do DVD-RAM. Considering that it does EVERY other format (esp -RW/+RW), it might be a moot point, but if you're looking for TOTAL compatibility, you may want to wait a few months.
    If you're not that patient, go right ahead with the DRU500. It should be sufficient for your needs. [​IMG]