DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick_F, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

I'm looking at the Panny RP56 or the Toshiba 4700. I want to be able to play back some or all of the available DVD writeable formats. Anybody know what formats are supported by those two?

Also, I'm looking for some info/reviews on the 4700. If you could point me in the right direction? I know that the RP56 plays burned VCD/SVCDs but I'm not sure about the 4700.

2. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

3. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

I looked at that list before I came here. The Toshiba SD4700 doesn't seem to be there and the RP56 has question marks next to the DVD writeable formats. I'm looking for reviews on the Pioneer 444 now.

4. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

As a matter of fact, I just played a dvd+rw burned from hp100i on a Tosh 4700. No problem.

5. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

If you were to decide between the Panasonic RP56, Toshiba 4700, and Pioneer 444 which one would you get and why? I'm leaning toward the 4700 but I'm having trouble finding reviews on the 4700 and the 444 so its hard to compare.

6. Brian Mansure

Patrick,
    I posted a brief review of the Pioneer 444 here on the HTF about a week or so ago, see the link below:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=30253
    www.audioreview.com does has a handful of reviews on both the Pioneer 440 and 444.
    I really wasn't in the market for a progressive scan capable DVD player but some crazy luck got me the Pioneer 444 for alittle over $150.00. Just couldn't pass that up as my original choices were between the Panasonic RK-31 and the Pioneer DV-440.
    I just learned recently that the 444 is compatable with all those extra disc formats and it can also be made into a multi-region player for a small fee.
    So far, I couldn't be more pleased with the Pioneer 444.
    Good Luck,
    Brian

7. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/DVD/product_83135.shtml
    I've been demoing the 4700 for a couple of days now. It has some great features, but the progscan is no were near "film like" as my Marantz 7100 (I know there's about $500 between the 2)
    I was looking for a 2nd player mostly for DVD-Audio playback. The 4700 sounds great in dvd-a mode but it does have some problems with the menus on most of my dvd-a's.
    For that reason I will be returning it and trying out a Mits DD-8020 next.

8. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

John, the link you posted doesn't work.

I haven't found a good review of the Pioneer 444 but it seems to be comparable in feature list to the 2 others.

It seems to break down this way:

RP56: Best video; not so good writeable formats playback

SD4700: Best feature list(DD5.1 decoder); not that great video

Pioneer: Best format compatibility; shares a close feature list to the RP56 but I haven't found a good review of it so its hard to tell if its good otherwise.

9. Brian Mansure

10. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well concerning formats, i know the Panny will playback DVD-R (most players will play these) and DVD-RAM (this is Panasonic's rewritable format) discs.
    i got my dad an RP56 about a month ago and he's had no problems playing these discs on it. he owns an A/V reproduction studio and has DVD burning capability, so i trust him on this one. [​IMG]

11. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

All three seem to be very good; which one do you guys think I should get?

I don't currently own a Digital TV and my Bose Receiver is currently not compatible with DD5.1 or DTS. I have many movies I'd like to put onto burned CDs. I'm planning on updating the Bose receiver and eventually getting a Digital TV.

12. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

Kicking this thread up.

I'd also like to hear some more reports on the playback ability of the SD4700. Too bad it isn't included in the vcdhelp list.

13. Patrick_F

Patrick_F Agent

Up for myself.

I'd still like some feedback on the SD4700.