DVD-R / DVD+R / DVD-Video

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Jarvis, Feb 24, 2003.

1. David Jarvis

David Jarvis Auditioning

Greetings - I recently purchased a DVD recorder and had a question about formats (perhaps I missed this in all the FAQ's I've read and if so - my apologies in advance).

My question is - after recording a DVD-R or DVD+R and performing the "finalizing" step, which the manual describes as "converting to DVD-Video for playback on other DVD players" - does this mean DVD-R/DVD+R are actually different formats than "DVD-Video"? If so, why don't they just say "Records to DVD-Video" and forget the intermediate step of DVD-R/DVD+R?
    Or is DVD-Video just another way of saying "the session on a DVD-R or DVD+R disc was finalized" (kind of like CD writing).

In the FAQ's I've read, they never really mentioned DVD-Video as an actual format. Thus my confusion.

Thanks in advance,

Peace
    /d

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Since DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD+RW all play easily on most DVD players made since 2000, does it really matter?

I use both the Panasonic and Philips units. I have noticed that the Panasonic DVD-Rs are a bit washed out, but I didn't think it was as bad as I've heard others say it was. No question, though, that the DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs look superior.

3. David Jarvis

David Jarvis Auditioning

Steve, no offense but did you even read my post?
    I asked nothing about the relative quality of each format.

What I'm trying to understand is whether "DVD-Video" is an actual format and how it differs from DVD-R & DVD+R (post finalizing).

Just trying to learn more (and yes, it does really matter).
    If it seems like a stupid question, just skip right on past it!