dvd-r and cable box connection

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom.R, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Tom.R

Tom.R Auditioning

I tried posting this in Home Theater Basics, but got no reply. I don't know if this topic has been discussed to death, searching through the archives didn't really help

I'm trying to connect my dvd-r to basic charter cable in parallel to my charter cable box. I just want to record some events off of basic cable service while my wife can watch the full charter package.

I suspect charter cable is pinging this line and picking up 2 devices, because after about 5 minutes with this setup my tv/cable box went blank, but the dvd-r picture was still on. I disconnected the dvd-r, and my tv/cable box picture came back.

Is there like a one-way pass filter I can put inline with my dvd-r, hopefully to make charter believe it's looking at one device?

Currently I have the the dvd-r in lne with the cable box, with a splitter and a/b switch I can watch basic while recording from the cable box, which is the exact opposite of what I want.

am I missing something simple? Thanks

2. Tom.R

Tom.R Auditioning

Hmmm, I can't decide if this is a really dumb question or a real poser. I talked to a Charter Cable installer and he assured me it could not be done, but then I talked to another former installer who said charter has splitter's that allow that (which kinda makes sense, if you're wiring a home).

As far as the high/low band pass filter, maybe I'll just get one and give it a go. Seems to me when I was putting in c band dishes they were unidirectional...

3. Tom.R

Tom.R Auditioning

Looks like a $2.99 DC Block from Radio Shack is going to do the trick. So far no problem with cable box or recording on the dvd-r.