1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

When purchasing a DVD Player,I was told to look at the "Downconversion Quality" of the player.What is that and what should I be looking for?Also...can anybody tell me what anamorphic format is?Thanks...

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Sheldon, welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask any questions related to DVD and home theater here, however to answer you question about what anamorphic is, I will refer you to this link. This site will explain it better than anyone else here could in text:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...c/welcome.html
    As for what downconversion means, you have to understand what anamorphic means first...so read the above article first, and come back here later.
    To simply put it, when watching an anamorphically enhanced DVD on a regular analog 4:3 TV, your DVD player needs to eliminate every 4th line of the picture in order to display the image at its correct aspect ratio. If your DVD player didnt downconvert the signal, every anamorphic 2.35:1 movie you watched would look like a 1.85:1 movie, and every 1.85:1 movie would look like a full frame movie.
    Thats the most simplest way I can think of describing it to you. If youre new to the whole HT hobby, dont expect to learn every little technical nuance right away. It took me almost 6 months to understand what anamorphic was, and Im stil learning new things to this day, so just sit back, relax, read some posts here, watch some movies, and have fun with this great hobby!

3. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike for the link...I have downloaded it into a pdf file and I will be studying it.