DVD question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Petersen, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I have some friends from work coming over tomorrow and they want to hear my new SVS sub. I just bought "THE Haunting DTS" and Saving Private Ryan DTS.

Can you guys give me the chapters and times to play that really hit hard so i can demo the New SVS.

2. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

The Haunting is on the chapter "Broken Pipes" something like that, there's some SERIOUS bass action in that whole schene. I would just watch both movies [​IMG]
    I don't know about SPR, I only watched it a couple times and never with a sub, so I don't know [​IMG]

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

This is like tag team between Club Polk and HTF! You guys crack me up.

Anyway - The Haunting DTS - this DVD has extraordinary dynamic range in the bass department. Be VERY careful about calibration and to not to overdrive the sub, since the rest of the soundtrack is rather mellow. DO NOT TRUST YOUR MASTER VOLUME SETTING - TRUST YOUR SPL METER. Your master volume setting will differ drastically for various DVDs (LOTR-FOTR is a good example).

I play The Haunting DTS well under reference, and I limit myself to 112 dB peaks at the couch at 12 feet from the sub, and my rectangular room is 1800 ft3. Before the demo, measure SPL peaks and work up to what you perceive to be a safe max SPL on the Creaking Pipes chapter. There are two VERY loud sets of "door knocks", the first comes almost immediately after the chapter starts, and the second comes a few minutes later, on a large wooden door. The second set is the real killer in terms of depth and SPL. Also, at the end when the ghost is sent to purgatory, I measured 112 dB again at the the crescendo when he hits the entrance. In between, there are several peaks of 108 dB, which are also very impressive - particularly when the ghost is running above the ceiling, and the pounding/crushing footsteps can be seen in the form of falling ceiling plaster.

SPR DTS - the opening battle scene, and the P51 Tank Buster scene at the end will do it. I'm up around 110 dB bass peaks on both scenes.

Titan AE: ice field scene and ending
    We Were Soldiers: call for close cover air support (59 min)
    TS2: first 5 minutes
    JPIII DTS: dino fight
    The Matrix: knee smash on floor in sparring scene
    LOTR-FOTR: falling ring in opener and cave troll battle
    U-571 DTS: all depth charge scenes and final battle

ALL awesome bass demo DVDs.

Ed

4. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

Ed, isn't it great though? [​IMG] We can chat on multiple boards! [​IMG] We're all just one big SVS happy family, well me now that I don't have a broken driver anymore [​IMG] hehe Hey, I was the first one to break a 20-39 PC+ huh? Do I get a reward? [​IMG]

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    don't forget the Phantom Menace pod race... [​IMG]