What's new

DVD question (1 Viewer)

YoungO

Auditioning
I'm a newbie to the forum and to home theater in general, but, after perusing some of the posts, i must say that this has been extremely informative. I have what may seem to be a silly question. I just bought a 55in Plat+ mitsubishi. I have a sony DVD hooked up to it and I made sure that the player knows it is hooked up to a 16:9. My question is, when I play some DVD's, such as Black Hawk Down, there are still black lines on the top and bottom of the screen. Then, when I play other DVD's such as Blue Streak or Mulholland Drive, it fills up the entire TV screen. What's the difference? I thought (maybe in error) that all DVD's that say "anamorphic widescreen" or widescreen edition would fill up a 16:9 screen. THanks for all your help.

Young

YoungO

Auditioning
sorry for the redundant post, i just read the primer for newbies, and i think i found my answer.

young

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Young, you answered your own question and searched out the primer. You're more proactive that 99% of the people who come in and ask that question

I think you'll do well here

YoungO

Auditioning
thanks for the words of advice; the primer is a fantastic source of information, i've been looking forever on the internet for a good source of information for a novice like myself.

Young

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Young,
Glad you found what you were looking for in the primer! I would say that the best source of information on anamorphic dvd, 16:9 and the variable of wider aspect ratios is the guide on The Digital Bits:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...hic/index.html
The basic truth is that there are more shapes for movies than just one. As a result, not all movies will be the exact shape of your TV set (which is 16x9)-- so in order to mantain their orginal shape- there is often unused area (i.e. black bars).
But, don't feel bad- this question literally comes up every few weeks! Here's some past examples which have answers which might help shine a bit of additional light on the matter:
Why do I still have black bars on my 16:9 HDTV?
DVD Playback on Hitatchi 53" Widescreen Help
2 questions
Yet another anamorphic question...
Widescreen Formats?
How can I get rid of the blac bars on my 16:9 toshiba 34" tv
Widescreen Question!! Please help
HD question
Help on DVD - 16:9 view on Hitachi 53 Widescreen
Are 1:1.85 anamorphic DVDs letterboxed on 16:9 sets
-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks