What's new

Dvd Quality (1 Viewer)

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Is anybody as excited as me, because DVD has never looked better. The new Ice Age disc pushes the DVD standard to the limit. And even non-animated movies like lord of the rings is mightily impressive. 480 interlaced has never looked to good. And is anybody else excited by 480 progressive transfers, with 30% better picture.
anybody excited?

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Carl, it is interesting how far the DVD format can be pushed, not only in software, but the quality that certain progressive scan players are achieving at very reasonable price points. It further excites me that DVD is pushing along sales of high def televisions and home theater audio gear, and both of these areas get better and better at lower costs. In all of this, the consumer continues to win.:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I remember when DVD first came out and I thought it looked great at the time. Now when I play those movies (The Colour Purple, First Knight etc) they pale in comparison to todays' transfers especially when blown up on a big screen. I look forward to the future, yes.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I was watching a laserdisc last night and was astounded at how crappy it looked in comparison to today's dvds. Granted, the transfer on the LD (SCROOGE) was not the greatest ever put on a platter, but it was still considered fairly typical for the time. God, I love the advances in technology!

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Neil,
On that same thought, I popped in Excalibur the other night. The transfer was full of edge enhancement and nowhere near the quality expected today, but what was surprising was how compressed the Dolby Digital soundtrack sounded. Obviously a lot has been learned over the years in the audio aspect as well as the quality of transfer. On a film critic note, what I thought was a pretty good movie when I was younger is now full of cliches and lousy acting (Damn, another memory ruined).

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously with dvhs now available, I was scared how dvd might contend with this new threat, but Ice age dvd compared to dvhs holds up very well indeed.
dvhs version of ice age been a dream to watch, I almost couldn't bring myself to view the dvd.
But the dvd is almost comparable to the dvhs version.
Times are looking good for dvd and I don't think ill be buying a dvhs player not with dvd looking so damn good.

I'm looking forward to the new video essentials disc from Joe Kane because it's the first dvd to use 480p, true 24 frames per second progressive scan and the image qaulity is suppossed to push dvd even further.
The disc is being created in mpeg also, so no dvd encoding will take place, ie no artifacts.
the future looks bright.

glen mulder

Auditioning
True DVHS is amazing but DVD has still got to be the format of choice. Tape storage does not allow easy access to any part of the films, limitations for extras and the packaging sucks. DVD packaging is getting better along with the picture quality.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to the new video essentials disc from Joe Kane because it's the first dvd to use 480p, true 24 frames per second progressive scan and the image qaulity is suppossed to push dvd even further.
The disc is being created in mpeg also, so no dvd encoding will take place, ie no artifacts.
the future looks bright.
That sounds interesting.

If the DVD format allows for 24 fps, why haven't they used it for films before?

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
yes they are filmed in 24 frames per sec, but and interlaced picture means 60 half frames per second. or 30 frames per second.
interlaced scans one line and misses two or then scans the lines that its missed.
thats why you get that jagged look or flickering.
24 frames, pure progressive is 24 fully scanned frames per second so theres no flicker, and increased image quality.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's incredible how far it's come indeed. My all time favorite dvd transfer is hands down Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones! The video quality is mind boggeling!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Count me as amazed!
i can't believe how well the quality holds up when its projected.
i know DVHS is *better*, but what i see with good discs blows my feeble mind.
more than good enough for my needs at the moment, and for the forseeable future.

hell, if all classic catalog titles looked as good as the Singin in the Rain SE, and all newer releases looked as good as From Hell, or LOTR, or Moulin Rouge...i'd be set for a verrrry long time.
D-what?

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
D-what?
Let's just remember that this thread is aimed at supporting the dvd format, which I still love depite it's faults. Please don't knock down DVHS. I still belive there is a dvd vs dvhs thread still open that I would be happy to debate any of you in.

Chris

Louis C

Supporting Actor
When I popped in LOTR for the first time, I was blown away by both the image quality and special effects.

I am also amazed by the improving quality of restorations like "Bridge on the River Kwai," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

Amazing.

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with chris, this isn't about a format war between dvhs and dvd. DVD and dvhs will co-exist so lets not get petty over who has the best format. This is about an appreciation of quality and pushing each format to it's edge.
Hell, even it's vhs, if you thx it and push it as far as it can go you have to respect that.
Then again I havn't seen vhs for a while now because of dvd. ha ha...

well, whatever, dvd is a great for format and it will still keep getting better.

(look out for Joe kane's video essentials) released soon.

glen mulder

Auditioning
Glenn, tape storage does not have limitations for extras, as you put it. There is plenty of space on a dvhs to put all of your valued extras. That is not what the DVHS format is about. It is about 28.2 mbps of high definition. Nobody is saying that DVHS is here to take over dvd. It should be a compliment to dvd. I won't even comment on the "packaging sucks" comment. Do you have the Training Day dvd? If cardboard is your sort of thing, so be it.

Come on Chris one N,My comments are based around the fact that DVD has improved greatly over the last 12months.With HDDVD only 2 years away it will blow DVHS out of existance.Surely with the quality that we are getting now with DVD it would be better for us to wait and not get ourselves entrapped with a new format which quite frankly will go the way of Betamax when HDDVD arrives.Just a note whats the point in adding extras when you have to fast forward tape to get to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks