What's new

DVD Progressive Scan output (1 Viewer)

RyanFrank

Auditioning
Hi all

I was hoping I could get some feedback about connecting a new DVD-R to my home theater...

I've recently picked up a DVD-Recorder (Panasonic PANDMRE30B) which has progressive scan outputs.

When I connected this unit to my home theater, I routed my Dish network receivers s-video output to the DVD-R's input (it accepts s-video in). I can now select, via my TV, to watch my satellite TV through my DVD-R using the progressive scan outputs.

To sum up: The video signal originates in my Dish Network receiver, goes into the DVD-R's video in, then I'm using the DVD-R's progressive scan output. BTW, my TV does accept progressive scan.

My question is: Am I really getting progressive scan video quality using this connection? The picture I get using this scenario is slightly 'washed out' compared to viewing the s-video signal from the Dish network receiver; it looks sorta like the brightness is set too high and the color is set too low (I have not tried to tweak this in the TV's setting yet to try and get a rich picture). The picture does, however, look much sharper than the s-video.

Any thoughts/advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How does DVD playback look through p/s vs. S-video? It's very possible that each individual mode on your TV needs to be separately calibrated. (I know my Toshiba works that way; when I first hooked up my p/s player, the color values were all wrong.)

M.

RyanFrank

Auditioning
When I play a DVD, it looks much better in progressive scan compared to s-video.

I'm pretty sure (I'll check later today) that my TV (Mitsubishi)does not remember specific setting for each input - 1 setting for everything (My last TV, a Sony, DID have unique settings for each input). I've calibrated my TV using Sound&Vision calibration DVD, so I know my values for contrast/brightness/etc have got to be set to reasonable values, although they may be off slightly.

Your suggestion is a good idea, though - I'll check that out tonight.

I guess what this may boil down to is: can an s-video signal can really be 'upgraded' to p/s?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this

Ryan

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I guess what this may boil down to is: can an s-video signal can really be 'upgraded' to p/s?
There's no question that an S-video 480i signal can be "line-doubled" into a 480p signal, often with significant improvements. There are various devices (e.g., the IScan products) that do this very effectively. But I have no experience with how the various DVD recorders work, so I'll have to defer to others.

M.

RyanFrank

Auditioning
I think I'll pose this question to the manfacturer and see if they have anything to say. Somehow, I doubt that a unit that costs under $500 has the capability to actually 'convert' s-video to progressive scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks