What's new

DVD Profiler??? (1 Viewer)

Guy_K

Second Unit
Is anyone using this right now? For me it doesn't work, when I try to add a DVD it says unable to connect to the database. When I go to DVD profiler's website, it is no longer there. Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I do! Great way, and in my opinion the best way, to catalog your DVD collection. But there are other good systems as well. Just look at my sig.

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of connection do you have to the internet? Broadband or slow dialup? I have no problems with my cable modem, although there are times where the system doesn't work, but I usually try it again and it works.

This is a great program, I'm back working now so I plan to give them a payment so they stay in business, I love this program.

Lawrence

Agent
I'm having problems also. Last night and this morning I have been unable to connect to their server.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
They seem to be having problems more and more often. I think that they are not devoting the required resources to this application. It has been scaling poorly as more and more people use it.

The quality of submissions plummits, and we are gettign some pretty weird little battles over what goes where for features and such. Used to be the changes were pretty well enforced, no, they just seem to be "OKed" by the maintainer, and passed along.

I, and other users would like to see them implement a ranking/submission system that selected submitters could act as approvers, maintainers. One of the things ic would doo would free up staff resources to continue to update what is a pretty dang good program. It also would help clear out some of the errors, and introduce some order again. Likely it would help them with bandwidth demands as well.

This is one great program. I just started using it and I plan on registering it for $25.

About the only thing I don't like about it is my Database keeps currupting. But I just remove the program and download my titles from the website and I am back in Business.

sambryan

Auditioning
Keep pussyfooting around complaining when it goes down, and it will become a monthly paid service like the once great DVDTracker. With the amount of usage Intervocative has been getting from Profiler they could do it and get away with it. Profiler is the best I have ever seen when it comes to keeping tabs on your collection. I have my barcode scanner and laptop ready and waiting whenever I come to quick and easily add my latest DVD's. When DVDTracker went pay I quit using them and decided DVDPRO was the way to go. I lost 100 DVD's in tracker... In DVDPRO I would lose around 500.... Not my idea of a fun afternoon inserting my DVD list into my PC.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
[rant]....... Keep pussyfooting around complaining .......[/rant]

Hey... I for one am concerned about what is going on at DVDPROFILER.COM as I just registered a few weeks ago...

And it seems to never fail... when I register a shareware program.. the authors no longer support it .. and it has now been four days since I have been able to logon to the site...

And with RELEASE TUESDAY coming in a few hours..... how can I add my new purchases??

--David

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Damn, after over a year using this, I JUST, last week paid my $25 and nothing today :frowning: Hope this is a temp problem :frowning:

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, if anything negative happens, I'm going to hold you responsible,
Well if that is what is going to happen then let it be....
At least I have a scanner and the web site "Internet Movie Data Base" is still working...
But they (IMDB) are now offering a 'PRO' version of the web site for a subscription service of $13 month / $99 year...
O U C H :thumbsdown:
By the way this is the last address that I get to when I do a TRACE ROUTE from my home to the DVDPROFILER.COM web site.
1 & 2 deleted for security reasons
3,151.164.70.249,61ms,bb1-fa1-0-0.wchtks.swbell.net,--
4,151.164.241.189,87ms,bb1-p6-1.dllstx.sbcglobal.net,--
5,151.164.241.161,79ms,bb1-p15-0.dllstx.sbcglobal.net,--
6,144.223.78.93,80ms,sl-gw37-fw-8-1.sprintlink.net,--
7,144.232.11.169,75ms,sl-bb22-fw-4-0.sprintlink.net,--
8,144.232.18.22,139ms,sl-bb20-atl-11-1.sprintlink.net,--
9,144.232.9.197,108ms,sl-bb21-rly-14-0.sprintlink.net,--
10,144.232.14.134,107ms,sl-bb23-rly-11-0.sprintlink.net,--
11,144.232.14.42,108ms,sl-gw19-rly-10-0.sprintlink.net,--
12,160.81.221.150,113ms,sl-affinity-11-0-0.sprintlink.net,--
13,208.231.4.4,106ms,core2a.balt.skynetweb.com--
14,----,Timeout,n/a,----
15,----,Timeout,n/a,----

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It would be a shame if the company went belly up and took profiler with it. They might sell it to someone, but my guess is it might go to a pay system. If worse came to worse it's still usuable without the servers but definately not as convienient. I Hope they show back up soon but I too have been noticing a lack of recent updates to the database.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
Registrant:
InterVocative Software, LLC (DVDPROFILER-DOM)
2121 E. Mohawk Dr.
Olathe, KS 66062-2433
US
Domain Name: DVDPROFILER.COM
Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
Slicer, Jesse (JSR498) [email protected]
InterVocative Software, LLC
2121 E. Mohawk Dr.
Olathe , KS 66062-2433
(913) Removed at request
Technical Contact:
SkyNetWEB, HOSTMASTER (HS1867) [email protected]
SkyNetWEB Ltd.
1301 S. Baylis Street
Baltimore, Md 21224
410-563-6384 (FAX) 410-563-5457
I have called both "Skynetweb" and the tech support said they would have to get back to me and then called what ended up being Jesse Slicer home and received an answering machine....
Most of the time that I have seen web sites get turned off the ISP / Hosting company would at least put up a single web page offering hosting service or other advertisments?
I also can not reach the 'CueCat' (www.crq.com) web site and a few others.. all of these sites my local ISP has 'handed off' my packets to a SprintNet back bone and then the trace route dies at the first server when SprintNet hands off my packets to another network.... so could it be a SprintNet troubles??
--David

John Stone

Supporting Actor
It is not a DNS issue--the DNS records for both zones (intervocative.com and dvdprofiler.com) are resolving correctly and have not been updated since 4-8-2001.
dvdprofiler.com (64.23.81.146) is down hard.
intervocative.com (64.23.81.145) is up, but port 80 is closed, so either their web server crashed (which wouldn't surprise me--they are using Windows/IIS). Another possibility is that they (or someone else) have shutdown the web services on purpose, because many other network services on that server are up and running).
At least intervocative.com is responding to ICMP_ECHO, and port 25 (SMTP) is open. Since that zone has its own MX record, mail to intervocative.com should work (mail to dvdprofiler will eventually bounce since the MX record for that zone points to an IP address that is not currently resolvable). Maybe someone can get a response from them via email to [email protected]?
They co-locate their servers with skynetweb.com. The strange thing is, they are not on their own subnet (64.23.81.144 & 64.23.81.147 are totally different companies). My co-lo customers with a single IP are placed on their own /30 for obvious security reasons (Intervocative would require a /29, of course).
I don't think they have been "cut off" by their ISP or anything like that. Otherwise neither zone would respond. I think they are having sever problems.
root@darkness:~# nslookup
Default Server: darkness.twowiresthin.com
Address: 192.168.0.4
> server 208.231.1.34
Default Server: ns1.skynetweb.com
Address: 208.231.1.34
> set querytype=ANY
> dvdprofiler.com
Server: ns1.skynetweb.com
dvdprofiler.com preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.dvdprofiler.com
dvdprofiler.com nameserver = ns1.skynetweb.com
dvdprofiler.com nameserver = ns2.skynetweb.com
dvdprofiler.com
origin = ns1.skynetweb.com
mail addr = hostmaster.skynetweb.com
serial = 2001040801
refresh = 70800 (19h40m)
retry = 3600 (1H)
expire = 604800 (1W)
minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)
dvdprofiler.com internet address = 64.23.81.146
dvdprofiler.com nameserver = ns1.skynetweb.com
dvdprofiler.com nameserver = ns2.skynetweb.com
mail.dvdprofiler.com internet address = 64.23.81.146
ns1.skynetweb.com internet address = 208.231.1.34
ns2.skynetweb.com internet address = 208.231.1.35
> intervocative.com
Server: ns1.skynetweb.com
intervocative.com preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.intervocative.com
intervocative.com nameserver = ns1.skynetweb.com
intervocative.com nameserver = ns2.skynetweb.com
intervocative.com
origin = ns1.skynetweb.com
mail addr = hostmaster.skynetweb.com
serial = 2001041201
refresh = 70800 (19h40m)
retry = 3600 (1H)
expire = 604800 (1W)
minimum ttl = 86400 (1D)
intervocative.com internet address = 64.23.81.145
intervocative.com nameserver = ns1.skynetweb.com
intervocative.com nameserver = ns2.skynetweb.com
mail.intervocative.com internet address = 64.23.81.145
ns1.skynetweb.com internet address = 208.231.1.34
ns2.skynetweb.com internet address = 208.231.1.35

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Trace routs from home reveal essentially the same thing as DavidEC posted, The packets are being dropped/lost at the skynet domain. I have not actually tried contacting the interneic registered holders of the domain though.

This is definately the longest they have been off line. I hope this is not a bad tiding, and simply a poorly handled network issue.

Jesse Slicer

Auditioning
Hi, yes I'm the Jesse Slicer of InterVocative Software. I'll cut right to the chase. Our server got hit hard with some strange network resource-consuming something or another. The web is not functioning, our email is not functioning, FTP is not functioning and our remote administration is not functioning.

We are working closely with the very helpful folks at SkyNetWEB and they determined that we need to reinstall the operating system. The good news is that it is on a completely different physical drive than all of our data and you can rest assured that none of the web or collection data is affected.

With response to John St, our server is not co-located with them yet. We have a dedicated server with them but within a month will have a much better co-located server designed from the ground-up to scale very well with respect to the future of DVD Profiler and other products we have plans for.

I also forgot my HTF login otherwise I would have posted earlier. Apologies to everyone for any downtime and we hope to have everything smooth again in the next day or two. We'll be playing catch-up on a bunch of stuff this weekend, so I thank you in advance for your patience.

On another note, I wish DavidEC would remove my home phone number from his post as my wife and infant daughter have received two very early phone calls already this morning. It is not going to help as we at IVS have day jobs and are doing what we can to get this situation corrected as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

Jesse Slicer

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Jesse, thanks for the info. It's good to know that we'll still be able to use this software. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks