DVD Profiler.......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BillParry, Oct 12, 2001.

1. BillParry

BillParry Auditioning

Is there anything like DVD Profiler for the Mac and is DVD Profiler web based or is it something I would have to download and work with on my computer?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill P.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Bill,
    DVDProfiler is not yet Mac compatible but I've read in other posts where Mac users have used a PC emulator to run DVDProfiler with good results.
    DVDProfiler is a program that resides on your computer but you can upload (and downlaod if required) your collection to the net if you register in MYProfiler on the site. (For an example see my signature for a link to my collection.)
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

DVD profiler is a quality program and is updated on a regular basis, i've never found a DVD that it doesnt have. My only qualm is with the advertising banners, but it is free like this and if you want rid of these you can just register it. Some export options to excel, access, etc would be nice though. Also whenever you want to add a new dvd you have to let it download some things first, it would have been nicer if it gave you the option of downloading the updated listings.

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I too enjoy DVD profiler, but have started to get weary of the lack of updates and responses from the company. One of it's week points is the lack of a Mac, or "other then windows" client.
    I have been busy trying to learn C++ after years of vBasic in an effort to develop a system similar to Profiler, but portable to MacOS, PalmOS, PocketPC and Windows.
    If anyone would be interested in assisting, or offering suggestions for user interface design, or features I would love to hear from you. Think of this as a feasibility study.
    Currently my goals are:
    - portable
    - low memory requirement
    - minimal CPU cycles
    - rapid feature integration
    - exportable data
    [Edited last by Lance Nichols on October 12, 2001 at 01:32 PM]

6. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

You can export the database to an Excel format if you want. You go to File, Export Profile Database. You can specify what information you want in the exported file. It'll save as a CSV file, which you can open with Excel and then save as an XLS (Excel).

7. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

OK Mac people, I need your help.

I've begun work on a program in JAVA to keep track of my DVD collection. I'm doing this for several reasons:

1. To expand my knowledge of JAVA from just programming business logic to learning more about Swing, the API used to program user interfaces in JAVA 2.

2. I have recently been laid off and I want to write something that I can possibly show off to prospective employers while I hunt for a new job.

3. To actually write something that I can use for keeping track of my DVD collection. Go figure.

4. In the process, I would actually enjoy creating something that would be platform independent, or at the very least, extremely portable, thus not leaving out those who use Macs.

5. Cause I'm just nutty.

Where do you come in? Good question. Read on to find out.

So far, I have created a SIMPLE screen. The app (if that's what you want to call it for now) is packaged in an executable JAR (JAVA Archive File) file. It works on my PC, but since I don't have a Mac, I have no idea how it looks on that platform. So I need a volunteer to see if runs, and if possible, send me a couple screenshots of it running on the Mac platform.

I would prefer the volunteer to be running Mac OS X since I believe that it has the neccessary JAVA runtime components already buit into the OS.

The first one to reply to this thread will be my volunteer.

Again, the screen is not complex. I just need to see if it runs without any further modification for now.

Thanks.

8. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

I'm willing to volunteer for that. Feel free to e-mail me, I'll get the e-mail after I get home from work, we can work out details then. [​IMG]

9. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

And the winner is... [​IMG]
    I'll be sending you mail shortly.

10. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

You have mail.

11. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Well, we're off to a rousing start! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PS - mebbe we should start a new thread in the Computers/HTPC area to cover this, rather than hijacking this thread.
    PPS - got a giggle out of Mac OS X telling me how to 'launch this jar'. I figured all I'd need to launch a jar would be a catapault, or even just my arm if I wanted to! [​IMG]

12. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

That's funny. A Main-Class definition is in the manifest.

One way for you to find out for yourself is to open the JAR file with whatever file zipping utility you normally use and then examine the contents of the file manifest.mf.

You should get the following text:

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Yup, that's exactly what I see.
    AIM's on now, too, but you know that, since you just found me.
    New thread for tracking this is right here....

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I use the web-based 'DVD Aficionado'... check it out in my signature. I got fed up with the clutter and banners on DVD Profiler and I really like the simplistic yet 'pretty' approach that DVD Aficionado has taken.
    check it out at:
    www.dvdaf.com
    [​IMG]

15. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

if you want to get rid of the "clutter" of DVDprofiler, try paying the $25 to register it. It's well worth twice that amount in many peoples opinion. Once registered...you can turn the ads and filter part off.

16. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

$25? That is like a DVD-and-a-half... why pay when I can get something I regard as BETTER for FREE? [rant]FREE![/rant]

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I also use DVDAficionado. Click the "gear" button above to see how it looks. Feel free to send me any of the "Wish List" titles you care to. [​IMG]