What's new

DVD Profiler. Worth paying for? (1 Viewer)

StevenFC

Second Unit
I thank you all very much for your input. You've given me a lot to think about.

If they would update more often, I wouldn't have a second thought. I'm still waiting for the images for Homecoming, The: A Christmas Story to show up on my Profiler page. And the contribution process seems a little confusing. But overall I've been pretty happy with. I'm leaning towards registering it.

I do feel for William though. I've had problems like that in the past with other software. I hope he solves his problem. Maybe one of us will have a solution for him.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me? I have no trouble contributing. Its as easy as filling in the info you have on a DVD and click on contribute - I can't imagine how it could be possible for it to be any easier.

As for updating, I get new updates at least twice a week from DVD Profiler and those DVDs that I contribute have made it onto the database in about a week. Not only that, but it doesn't much matter as the info is always on my database. For those that do not want to contribute, waiting for a title to show up is what happens if no one choses to contribute. Although this is rarely a problem as many members actually enjoy contributing titles to the database long before a DVD even gets released.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I like their product but would not pay for it because on my PC (my main computer), I have been unable to add any titles to my collection for well over a year. I've uninstalled and re-installed it and used the database repair utility numerous times - to no avail. Last month, I got a laptop and have had no problems with Profiler on it, so I am now using the laptop with Profiler, but if I can't even use it on my main computer, why would I pay them for the product?

StevenFC

Second Unit
Wow Scott, that's a weird problem alright. I can't imagine what the problem could be. Software can be so buggy sometimes for no apparent reason. It must be conflicting with something else on your computer. Maybe your os has become corrupted. I hope you figure it out.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
This is the only shareware program I have ever registered. It is well worth the $25. I have been using it since version 1.0

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft Word.

It's free and easy to update.

I keep a backup list in my Hotmail drafts folder in case my computer ever crashes and I lose information.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Can someone explain to me a bit about DVD Profiler? I am gathering that it is a site that helps a person to track their DVDs, but what else is there to it. Can it be used as proof of your collection in case of Fire/Theft?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
DVD Profiler can print a list with the retail value of each DVD and the total collection value. This is probably not sufficient evidence if you were to make an insurance claim. I would suggest that you have photographic proof of any valuables and ensure that such items as DVDs are covered. Some policies may limit the value to a certain amount unless you pay for additional coverage. For example, my policy limits jewelry to $3,000 or so. I had valuable pieces appraised and covered separately.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I think for many, Profiler is the best choice. Me personally, I've been writing my own. I am doing for various reasons: unlimited genre, director, and studio entries; customized to how I want it; implement changes quicker; and simply cause I can...amongst other reasons. Of course, none of this is online, but my eventual goal is to be able generate exports that other users can import into their collections...like family and friends that I know that won't add bogus data. Also eliminates the dependency on a centralized server. This shouldn't be hard since all the data is being stored in XML.

It's still in early form, but if you want to try an early version of it, I can email it to ya. It requires the latest Java Runtime installed to run it, which is free from Sun at http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp .

Good luck. :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I'm sorry, but did you say free? When did that start?

I have been a premium user of DVDProfiler for the last 2 or 3 years now. Works great.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
I use DVD Aficionado. It's free and I can use it on any PC that has Internet access without downloading or uploading any software. :) I have broadband so it's always on and available on my desktop. Plus I can send the URL to friends and family so they can keep tabs on the collection. The only thing I'd like would be the ability to create my own color scheme or pick from a couple of different ones, but it gets the job done.

It's pretty basic compared to DVD Profiler, but it has what I need: photo, director, studio, customizable folders, iMDB link...I don't really need to keep track of anything more than that.

Kai Zas

Second Unit

I'm sorry, but this doens't realy sound like a dvd profiler fault. Maybe it's time te re-install your Windows. It's been a year, right? (Or maybe you should try to just start a new local database by downloading it from your online profiler or something.)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

James - could you be more specific in what you would like to see? I'll be more than happy to pass along the request so that it can be discussed by those who can make a difference. (Being a VIP has its advantages ;) ).

StevenFC

Second Unit
Okay, I need to update this thread.

I bought the premium version. It's pretty good. A lot of good covers. Although it did take me a while to figure out how to download the high quality images.

However, there are about 40 or so that I'm going to scan and upload because they are either not full size or of low quality. It seems some movies just don't get the attention that others do. And for some reason, Homecoming, The: A Christmas Story still has not been updated. I've uploaded cover scans for it several times, but it still doesn't show the images on my Profiler page. Yet I uploaded images and profile for The Adventures of Ma & Pa Kettle a couple of days ago, and it was accepted with no problem. I can't figure it out.

It seems like some people don't always take the greatest care when scanning images. Many are crooked or need to be touched up a little bit. And in some cases they don't even bother taking the covers out of the case.

I hope they accept my updates; some of them really need it.

But just to clarify...I do feel it was worth the money. It's a very handy piece of software and I'm looking forward to the next incarnation.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Nice going, man. DVD Profiler needs users like you :)

(Could you please switch to buying Canadian versions? I'm still looking at the "Image not available" for the third season of South Park.)

I would upload the thing, but I don't have a scanner. (And I don't own a printer either, never realy needed those things.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks