Dvd profiler Vs Movie Collector

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mike_Craft, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

Ive been using movie collector and im not to thrilled with the html output compared to the slick look of dvd profiler. Which one of these would you guys recommend for keeping track of my dvd collection?

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Is movie collector the one by Collectorz? I haven't used that one, but do use thier Book Collector software. It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job. I use DVD Profiler for my DVD's and love it. IMO it's the best out there. I've also used DVD Afficianado & Guzzle Fish, but like having the local database Profiler has as well as the html pages. I thought Afficianado was really good, but didn't care for Guzzle Fish much. Way back I used DVD Tracker & liked that, dont't know if they're still around or not. Probably due to the speed of their servers.

The best thing would be to try the ones you're considering yourself & decide what you like best. Profiler has a free version.

Good Luck.

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Definitely give DVD Profiler a shot, and if you really like it paying the $25 to register it is well worth it.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Movie Collector has more options and is more open. It has many features like "seen it" and ...

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

As of 2.2, DVD Profiler also has a seen it feature that keeps track of who watched DVDs and on what date.

6. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

I'm not sure. How can you filter and list only the movies that you have not yet seen? (in DVD profiler)

7. Grant Degs

Grant Degs Agent

I have not checked out the new "seen it" feature in version 2.2 of DVD Profiler.

I love DVD Profiler but it has some limitations. Here is what I do to get around them.

For example, for the "Have I watched it" search...

I use the Notes section. I usually put my name as the first word then the "label" or wording I want to search on. I put my name first so the "label" does not also match something else in the Notes or Description section.

For example, I put the line

Grant Not Watched Movie Yet

This line means I have never watched the movie. I simply search for this text string and all the movies that I have not seen pass through the filter. In the same manner I will put the line

Grant Not Watched DVD Yet

For movies that I have seen but have not yet watched the DVD that I have purchased. Other labels I use are

Grant Sexy Woman

This string filters all the movies that have ladies I find attractive and like to watch on screen.

Grant Time Travel

I like time travel movies so I use this label to filter all the movies that have Time Travel

Grant Number 76 of AFI Top 100
    Grant Academy Awards Best Picture - 1996

I use these label to keep track of which movies are Best Picture winners or which are in the AFI Top 100.

And so on, and so on, I've been trying to tell the staff at DVD Profiler that they need some custom filtering fields, custom genres and the ability to combine filters with .and., .or., etc. etc. but I have not heard back. I say this because I would like to for example find all Best Picture winners that also have Time Travel. Right now I can't do that with the functionality of their interface.

I do believe DVD Profiler is the best one out there though.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Most people here use dvd profiler

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Well in Movie Collector you can create custom film genres and filter them. You can filter a lot of things in Movie Collector but you can not do that with DVD Profiler. The "Notes" workaround is not a clean and right solution.

10. Rod

Rod Agent

Does Movie Collector run on the Mac? DVD Profiler does not. For Mac users (like me), I hear DVDpedia is the best ... and maybe only solution??

11. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

12. Grant Degs

Grant Degs Agent

I agree!!! I just use it because it is the best I can do for now. I am waiting for DVDProfiler to add custom genres, et al. Of course, bad part about that is I have to go back and edit the data on over 1,000 DVDs.

How does Movie Collector compare to DVD Profiler taking all features into account? Is it UPC based? Does Movie Collector import DVD Profiler files?

13. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Readerware works on Mac OS X and is the one I swear by. It also does books and audio CDs.

Ted

14. Michael K Hill

The other thing that is really nice about Movie Collector is that it's constantly being tweaked and improved. I love the program. Searching through my entire video library (DVD's, LD's, VHS, and even 3/4" U-matic tapes) is a snap.

HTML output is probably the only complaint I would have with Movie Collector. But they may be working on that update...