What's new

DVD Profiler Question? (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I need a program to catalog my 800+ collection of DVD's. It seems that DVD Profiler is the one that is most used... unless someone can recommend another program.

1. I have several other region DVD's. Does it work with region 2, 4 etc. DVD's?

2. I have a few (not so much) studio released DVD's. Can you manually input data into the program?

3. Can you have more than 1 database? One for me, another for my brother, another for my friends.

4. Can you transfer info onto several computers?

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
Does it also work without having to access the website? Can you just keep it all on your computer and imput everything maually in case I have no internet?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does it also work without having to access the website? Can you just keep it all on your computer and imput everything maually in case I have no internet?
Yes. I only went onto the website to change my options from the peach colour to the blue colour but you can do everything right from the DVDP program.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I've got a question here also. Why is it that some dvd's do not show up to add to your wishlist? Amelie is not listed and this title has been out for awhile. I don't own it so i can't contribute it. Can dvd's be contributed without a dvd-rom drive or if you do not own it yet?

Ken Lemons

Grip
I was surprised about Amelie's absense at first also. It turns out to appear under the title "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain".

In theory, you can contribute data without having a dvd, but you would need the UPC and hopefully detailed specs about the disc. Box scans are helpful, but I don't think required. I haven't gotten around to contributing any info yet myself.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There was a problem with downloading your profile database and last I heard, it would be fixed with the next DVDP update. You can upload to the DVDP server though.
In the meantime, downloading is availiable through the website itself (in the password protected My Profiler section) by downloading your collection in the form of a backup database file. A bit more complicated, but still doable.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I downloaded and have been trying the program. I have a small problem that I cannot figure out. When I UPC input a DVD, it puts it into an alphabetical list... which is good. Then I try to manually input a DVD (an unauthorized movie) and it won't put it into the alphabetical list... instead it adds it to the bottom. Am I doing something wrong?

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
All of the movies that I entered in by UPC code are arranged alphabetically and seem correct. The ones that I entered in Manually are at the bottom of the alphabetical list.

When I click on the TITLE tab on the screen... it sorts by ascending or descending, but doesn't put those Manual entires back into the list. Is there a Alphabetical sort button?

It seems the only way to make it true alphabetical is to re-number every single DVD... and that seems to be a pain. I even tried the "reassign collection numbers"... and that really screwed up the list.

Am I doing something wrong or does this program not like manual entires. I have a few convention DVD's (wink wink) in my collection and want to put them in the list.

Is there another really good program that people use that doesn't require Online capabilities. I used Excel before this and it wasn't listing all of the features of each DVD.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Can seem to access my collection online, though it seems to be able to upload it to "My Collection". My online version has NOTHING in it and tells me that my collection has not been uploaded.
Is this what DVDProfiler has said will be fixed in the next release? Can they have you run the "OLD" version, or will that fail too... ARRRGH?
Hope that they fix this soon...:frowning:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sometimes I get an error saying that I will have to upload my collection, but then after a time, the collection shows again. Uploading at the time of error does not make it viewable either. Time seems to fix it.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
New question about DVD Profiler ...

I understand that it has all the information available via the barcode number thingy, but does it know the difference between the Candian and US versions? A small difference in most cases (French language instead of Spanish) but a difference just the same.

I've been trying to keep track manually using just an alphabetical list in a Word document ... but it's getting a bit too large for that.

Anyone know?

Lafe F

Second Unit
Ok. I downloaded and have been trying the program. I have a small problem that I cannot figure out. When I UPC input a DVD, it puts it into an alphabetical list... which is good. Then I try to manually input a DVD (an unauthorized movie) and it won't put it into the alphabetical list... instead it adds it to the bottom. Am I doing something wrong?
The new version of DVD Profiler has a new field called "Sort Title", which will give you greater control over how your discs are sorted on the list. When you manually enter a title, I believe it has an empty sort title field, so it'll stick it to the bottom of the list. I had the same concern when I upgraded to the new version.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I understand that it has all the information available via the barcode number thingy, but does it know the difference between the Candian and US versions? A small difference in most cases (French language instead of Spanish) but a difference just the same.
AFAIK, the barcode thingy (UPC code) is different between the US and Canadian releases.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
AFAIK, the barcode thingy (UPC code) is different between the US and Canadian releases.
I actually did know that, just don't know any Canadians who use Dvd Profiler so I figured I'd ask here for some sort of confirmation.

Sorry to be a bother ...

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Sorry to be a bother ...
Come on, you're not a bother. Anyway, all the information in the DVD Profiler is actually entered by users, so if the downloaded profile is different from what you expect, you can make the changes and upload. You can also lock your profile so that you won't get other people's changes if you disagree with them. You can also preview a title before adding and it'll show you all the details in the current profile.

Hopefully I came a bit closer to answering your question this time.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am growing increasingly impatient with DVD Profiler.
I have DVDs in my local database that, despite countless
times resetting the timestamp and repairing my database
collection, NEVER show up on the on-line version of my
collection.
What is the point of this on line database if there
are gaps in the data?
Yes, I have set it to have no parental locks and all
of that that rubbish, and I have even deleted and reloaded
DVDs, like Sex in The City, into my collection,
and they never appear in the on-line database.
Most irriatating, especially since I paid $20 for this.
:angry:
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks