DVD Profiler Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Al.Anderson, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    This forum seems to have a few Profiler users. (Man, was that downtime thread getting ugly, I thought we might be working up to a tar and feathering of the poor guy!) I want to keep track of rented DVDs. As of now I'm using the "Ordered" tab. But I may someday want to actually use Ordered for its intended purpose; plus it gnaws at me to see Ordered when it should say Rented. So, is there any way to add a tab or rename a current tab? Or is there another way people have separated their rented DVDs? Thanks.

2. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

AFAIK there is no such option. you could use the wishlist for that, otherwise I don't see how it may be possible, afterall profiler is meant to catalogue the DVDs you own.

3. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

What you can do, and what many DVD Profiler users do is to put a keyword(s) in the "notes" section such that you can filter only titles with that keyword(s) in their "Notes".

For instance, in your case, you might add "Rental" and "(name of place you rented the DVD)" in the notes section of the corresponding DVDs. Then using the filter option, you can now list all the DVDs that you have that are rented and in the event you rented from different sources you can also break that list into smaller ones. If you want to keep track of which DVDs you have already rented, but returned you could possibly simply add "Rented" to the notes as well.

You could also use the "Loaned to" option and simply add the name of the place you are renting the DVD from into the Loaned To window. The only downside to this is that you can only filter by all loaned titles and not by whom the DVDs are loaned out to - an option I sincerely hope InterVocative adds to DVD Pro sometime in the near future.

4. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

On a related note, DVD profiler doesn't have a category for DVDs you want to rent, so what I do is use the Priority option in my Wish List such that I assign all the DVDs in my Wish List that I only want to rent as "Vague Interest". This makes it very easy to make a list so that when I'm considering renting a film I don't have to browse the aisles.

5. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

You may want to post this over on the DVDProfiler forums. it comes up from time to time and usually has other user support. If there's enough support it may appear in a future version.

6. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Thanks for the replies. I'll play around with filtering on Notes. And embarassingly enough, I didn't know about the Profiler forums. (I just paid the money -- I didn't know there was that big of a community. Go figure.)

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Profiler Formatting Question/Difficulty........

Why does Profiler now present many (most) people's collections with that awful lengthy (horizontal) scroll bar on the page (on the right side)??

Never used to be there; now it's always formatted in this "extra wide" fashion, making the text very annoying to read, having to constantly scroll right, then left, then back right, etc. Yuck. [​IMG]

Any way to fix this formatting so that there's no scroll bar required?

(I've noted that member "Chris BEA"'s page does NOT have the wide right side of his page...but does have the bar on the left. Weird.)

(Also -- I've noticed that when utilizing the "Peach" color on a page, the formatting seems correct (not wide). But the "Blue" color yields a wide page. Except, apparently, in ChrisBEA's case. Again, weird.)

8. dannyB

dannyB Stunt Coordinator

David - the reason you have to scroll is because there's any extra ad at the top of the page. DVDProfiler uses Google ads, which aren't that bad compared to other bright and animated ads used by some sites.

Unfortunately for those of us running 1024x768 that extra ad forces the window on the right to be too wide.

[​IMG]

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

OK. Thanks Danny.
    Never even took notice of the Google ad at the top. Yuck. Makes the formatting really crummy-looking, and user-unfriendly....Oh well....

However, even WITH an ad @ the top, why can't the ad simply be split up into two lines & formatted to eliminate a scroll bar?? Seems like a simple solution.

But why doesn't ChrisBEA's page have an ad at the top? Does it have something to do with "Premium" membership?

10. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

In response to the original question;

Here's a quote from the DVD Profiler home page regarding features in the next version:
    I don't know exactly how this is going to work, but it sounds like it may be the answer to many users request for more flexibility.

We're anxiously awaiting the release of version 2.3

11. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Thanks for the interest in my collection!
    Yeah, there is no ad as I am a premium registrant (well worth it to support such a great app.) Can't wait for the next version!

12. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

On a related note, I also noticed that in some online collections, like ChrisBEA's, the frame on the right with all the DVD titles will show each title on one line, and one line only regardless of the length of the title - this also gives the viewer the choice of resizing the frame so that it displays the entite title without using the dcroll bar, or to make it wider so that the scroll bar disappears.

Unfortunately in mine and many other collections there is no title frame scroll bar, and so the only way to force each title to be displayed on only one line is to resize the frames.

Its even worse if you are using the Plum Peachy[/] (or what ever that style sheet is called). Not only is there no title frame scroll bar, but in this case you can't even enlarge the title frame.

So my question to ChrisBEA and others, what setting did you adjust in order to get the title frame scroll bar and thus keep all your titles on one line regardless of the size of the title frame?

Thanks!

Oh, and before you ask, yes, I'm a platinum user (have been for several years), and I've also noticed this same problem with many other platinum user's collections.

13. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

UPDATE: I took a closer look at ChrisBEA's collection and actually some of his longer titles are also taking up two lines. So what it appears is that his Profiler displays a default of a wider title frame, such that most of his titles are displayed on one line, but in order to still get rid of the scoll bar and display all the titles on one line one must widen his title frame.

Now that I see this, perhaps I'm better off with the way it is now, as at least I am able to see my collection numbers from the default display, where as with ChrisBEA's collection you either have to resize his title frame, or use the scroll bar.

Still, its interesting that appartently there is some way to adjust the default size of your title frame - but the question then is - how do you adjust that setting?

Very interesting stuff. [​IMG]

14. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I've never seen a setting relating to scroll bars. I just chose the stye sheet, turned off the ad, and that is what I got! [​IMG]

15. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I don't think you can.
    The only "settings" I can find @ Profiler are for "Color" (Blue vs. Peach), "Display Skin" (which there is only ONE option, Default, so this is a useless pull-down option for me), and the choice of Alphabetical vs. Numerical.

My collection occasionally shows up with a scroll bar on the left side...but when I "refresh" the page 1 time, it reformats to displaying without the bar. Odd indeed, but there you go.

But I really don't know WHY Chris has the wider LEFT side of his page (with scrolling horizontally required), and neither Nils nor I have this. [​IMG]

Another thing that has me [​IMG]. ..... Wonder why you now can't get to your own personal collection info via the DVDP site without going to a secondary page first. I have to click "Products" first; then click "More About DVD Profiler". Then I'll get the various personal option on the lefthand taskbar. Never used to be like that.

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Additional (mini)-rant .........

Even WITH an ad apparently necessary now on every el-cheapo person's Profiler page.....A simple solution to this awful "scroll bar" crap would be to place this Google ad on the very top of BOTH the left & right sides of the page. IOW -- the ad could easily fit ABOVE ALL the DVD info. This would make the ad start on the far left of the screen, rather than just appearing above the right-hand half of the screen, which would therefore eliminate any need for a scroll bar on the right side.

17. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Quote by Nils.....

You mean you WANT a crappy-looking scroll bar included on your page?!
    Why?
    Pages look much better, and are easier to read, without the wider pages.
    Or did I misunderstand your quote above?

Nils: Your page is formatted perfectly on my computer screen --- NO annoying scroll bars on either the left or right sides.

18. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I'm not sure why you consider a scroll bar to be so offensive (are you equally offended by the vertical scroll bar on the left right?) - sorry about that, had a dyslectic moment there. :b

Now I do use a UXGA screen (1600x1200) so the scroll bars are hardly noticeable - but even with a standard XGA display, the scroll bars in DVD Profiler are no larger than the standard default scroll bars in windows.

Regardless, here is why I would like the option to have a scroll bar for my title frame (the one on the left side).

I want each title to be displayed on only one line rather than have them broken up over two lines. The reason for this is that it makes it far easier to scroll through titles and be able to distinguish each titles from the beginning of each line. When some titles are broken up, it makes it very difficult to quickly scan the list for title names.

As it is right now, in order to get each title to fit on only one line (even for Chris' extra wide default frame) I have to resize the title frame such that it is as wide as the longest title - which for my collection happens to be:

Bruce Campbell vs. Army of Darkness: The Director's Cut: Official Bootleg Edition

A more common lengthy title found in many collections might be:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Special Extended Edition

Now if I widen the title frame to fit these titles on one line, the problem now is that because the collection numbers are listed on the right side of the titles, there is such a huge gap between average length titles and their collection numbers it makes it more difficult to connect them.

For instance the two titles listed above are 81 and 75 characters long, but most titles are less than 30 characters long - some are even less than 10 - like Ali. This means for those titles you’ll have as much as a 75 character gap between the title and its collection number. That’s a huge gap!

Now if you were able to force each title to be displayed on only one line regardless of the width of the title frame then at least it would make browsing for titles much easier. Besides, like the examples above, most people wouldn’t need to see the entire name of the two titles above to know what DVD it was. Having a title frame about 30 or so characters long would be more than wide enough to know what the title is. For the rare occasions where you might have to see more of the title, simply scrolling the title would accomplish this need.

However this also brings up the long running complaint that to date DVD Profiler has yet to fix, and that is the fact that on both the online display and the software display, DVD Profiler always lists the collection numbers, production years, release dates, purchase dates, lasted edited, and genres on the right side of each title.

As pointed out above, this is a major oversight and makes it difficult to connect the two at a quick glance.

Which is also the problem with ChrisBEA’s collection as the default width prohibits you from seeing the collection numbers without scrolling – a major pain if you ask me as you have to do that for every title.

All of those attributes listed above are less than 10 characters wide, and as such should have been placed to the left of each title thus always putting them right next to the beginning of each title. If and when Intervocative will ever get around to making this change - who knows? In the mean time it is a distracting flaw in an other words spectacular program.

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

You jest, right? [​IMG]
    Quite obviously, a person's 1,345-disc collection is not likely to fit onto a computer screen simultaneously.

20. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

For the description (right side frame) I completely agree with you, but for titles I'd much rather scroll the occasional extra long title in the event I don't recognize it, then have it either broken up over two lines or have a +80 character wide frame - as is currently required when using/displaying DVD Profiler collections.

Scrolling DVD descriptions/details is a whole different matter, and so I feel for you if that's what you have to do. Perhaps this is another good excuse to pony up the $25 premium registration? It'll be the best, most satisfying $25 spent on your DVD collection! [​IMG]