DVD Profiler offline?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StevenF, Feb 5, 2004.

1. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

Is DVD Profiler strictly an Online database or can you use it Offline as well. Is there a really good Offline program out there?

2. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

It works offline as well as supporting online use. You can't really do anything online except look however. All maintenance is done on the local app.

It's the one I'd go with. And you get 99% of the functionality for free. Although I found it to be worth the $25 lifetime registration.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I'm not exactly sure what you mean--but everything is done on your computer locally with the software that they provide. But you still need to be connected to the 'net to download images and such from their online database. I don't think it's possible to be disconnected from the 'net and still get full functionality from the software.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. StevenF

So it is a program that resides on your computer and d/l's updates and info into your system. Once your offline do you still get all the pics and info that you have previously entered into the program?... or once your offline you only get the text info, no pics and thats it?

5. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

When you are offline, you still have everything you had already downloaded.

6. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Scotty is right. There's a separate directory on you hard drive where the images are stored. However, you can use your own scanned images if you want. The program doesn't force you to use their images. Plus you can edit every entry to your little hearts content.

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have to tell you a story....

I own 1500+ DVD titles.

It took me hours to enter them all into the datatabse
    one-by-one.

Recently, a virus hit my computer which forced me
    to do a total reformat of my hard drive.

My biggest fear was that my hours of effort to catalog
    all my DVD titles were now lost.

Not so.

I had been constantly uploading my collection to
    DVD PROFILER's online database so all members could
    view my collection.

Fortunately, all I had to do was download that entire
    database back into my fresh install of the software.

The moral to the story is this....

If you have an internet connection, do an upload
    to the DVD PROFILER database on a regular basis
    just in case your computer is unexpectedly hit by
    the "unknown."

8. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

exactly. and even if you don't want people to look at your collection you can make it private,. so you will have a backup independent from your PC but still nobody will be able to see it.

HTH

9. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

DVD Profiler is an outstanding service and I highly recommend it. Even if you don't share your collection the back-up is invaluable; particularly for insurance purposes. DVDs get stolen and at least one HTF member had his whole collection lifted. DVD Profiler provided a record for replacement.

I too agree, go with the lifetime membership as there are frequent updates and it's worth it just to get rid of the banner ads. I also think that it's honorable to reward people who put out good software I frequently use.

10. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

Just to clarify a little on what's be said to this point. During setup, you have a one time setup step where you download a lot of data. After you have your collection entered, you can work totally offline. Any profiles you have entered will display just fine.

I can only think of a few cases where you need to be online.

1) You would want to go online when you want to update your profiles. The entire database is maintained by the users. People make corrections all the time and submit those changes. If you want to make sure everything is correct and up to date, you would want to download the updates (about once or twice a week).

I should also point out that because the database is maintained by the users, those updates will also frequently contain errors when some ya-hoo decides to change the running time, add easter eggs where none exist, change the title to something stupid, etc. Visit their forums to get a better idea if you're curious.

2) You'd also want to go online if you're adding a disc to your collection. It needs to download the full profile and cover images from the main database.

3) If you're uploading corrections to a profile, you'd obviously have to go online.

There may be other cases, but those are the main ones.

And I second Ron's advice. My hard drive died last month. I setup Profiler again, downloaded my collection and was up and running in no time.

11. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I've had to set up Profiler twice due to changing hard drives and it's so incredibly easy, so long as you make regular updates.

12. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

then he/she was very lucky. because at the end of the day you amy well have DVDs in your profiler that you never really had or sold a long time ago.

I took pictures of all of my DVDs for insurance purposes, because I doubt that dvdprofiler is good enough as proof.

just a sidenote[​IMG]

13. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Ron,

Just as an aside, pull down the 'file' menu, select 'backup profile database' and keep the resulting file somewhere. Saves you more info than restoring from the online profile.

14. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher

I've been backing up my DVD profiler database & some other important stuff to CD-RW for quite some time. Was pretty handy back in September when a computer crash while updating erased most of the data from DVD profiler.

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Just download it and try it. There is a free version, so you have nothing to lose.

-Dave

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

DVD Profiler is a terrific program that I've been using since it's early beta versions. The free version is very functional, but the $25 registered version is well worth the cost.

Along with removing the banner advertisements, the full version also provides the capability to download high resolution cover art. The image quality is a substantial improvement over the images you get with the free version. Of course, you can always scan your own covers (I do this regularly if a high res version is not already available, then upload it for others to use).

17. StevenF

So I can start out using the free version, get my list up and running. Then, when I want to get the Lifetime membership for $25.00... will it automatically convert all the images I already have to High Rez?

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

When you upgrade to the registered version, you will need to download the high resolution cover images to replace the old ones stored on your PC. It's a very simple process, and you can update all the covers with a single download.

19. LannyFR

LannyFR Auditioning

I have heard great things about DVD Profiler, and now that I just bought a DVD Recorder, I would love to have something exactly like this, but it is Windows only and I am a Mac person. Does anyone know of a program like this that runs on Mac OSX? [​IMG]

20. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

DVD Profiler wouldn't be much of an accesory for a burner. It's a cataloging tool. Unless you just want to keep track of who's in your home movies and their lengths, it won't be super-useful for home dealies.