What's new

DVD Profiler and Palmpilot, et. al. (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My recent trip to LA for the HTF meet showed me that I should really carry a list of the DVDs I own (1600+) with me. We had an opportunity to purchase DVDs from the FOX company store at amazing prices (50-60% off!) and, since I already own many DVDs, as well as even more LDs, it became difficult for me to remember what I already own (or at least those titles on LD that I do not also have on DVD).
Anyway, to cut to the chase, it appears that a good solution would be to export my DVD Profiler Database to my Palmpilot. DVD Profiler allows me to created an exportable database in CSV (Comma Separated Value) format with whatever information I want included (title, etc. etc.) That's the easy part.
Next I need to know which is the best way to get this information into my PalmPilot. I realize that there are quite a few Database programs available for the HandHelds and am hoping that some of you who already do this might point me in the direction of what you consider to be the best program for using CSV files on the PalmPilot.
This area changes so frequently as new programs appear that it seems prudent to ask those who have "been there, done that" for opinions rather than stumble through the many options myself.
Any takers on this one?
Thanks in advance.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
I use Mobile_DB which works great.
http://www.mobilegeneration.com/prod...edb/index.html
Then just:
Importing data to MobileDB-PC
Select "Import" from the "File" menu to import a comma separated (delimted) ,
tab separated, or semi-colon separated file. These files are generally a .csv file
type and are useful to import and export data to and from different database or
spreadsheet applications including MS Access and MS Excel. For example, if
you have an Excel spreadsheet, you can save it as a comma separated file (.csv)
and "import" it into MobileDB-PC to be saved as a MobileDB database.

balendu

Auditioning
I use thinkDB from http://www.thinkingbytes.com/ to
keep track of my DVD's. I have it categorized by
DVD's owned, wishlist and dvd's on order. It lets
you create your own database with customized fields
and supports various filters as well.
-- Balendu

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Tom and balendu,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look closely at these two products.
For any others reading this thread,
Are there any shareware or freeware dB programs out there that accomplish the same thing. I'm not against paying for a program if it's clearly superior to other stuff out there (like DVDProfiler) but it has been my experience with the PalmPilot and similar that a lot of the stuff out there in freeware is often as good as the stuff you pay for. Does anyone have experience with such progams that might meet my modest dB needs?
Thanks.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
**Update**
I took a look at MobileDB and thinkDB and realized that something looked familiar. It turns out that I already had the freeware version of MobileDB (MobileDB Lite) on my Palmpilot so all I had to do was use the MobileDB-PC utility (included with MobileDB Lite) to convert *.csv files to the required *.pdb format.
In other words, I already had the tools installed and this serves my modest purposes very nicely!
Thanks for all the assistance.
Just what I needed. Another tool to assist me in purchasing DVDs!
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I use thinkDB (it is a commercial program), because I like that you can tweak the file on the desktop before you hot-synch it in to your palm.
Just my .02

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I use JFile Pro. However, it's a demo version (I don't even know the number off the top of my head), and without paying for the full version, you are limited to one database. That's OK, the one database I use it for is my dvd collection. I use MobileDB and ThinkDB (purchased for me by my company) for all my other databases.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Christopher D

Second Unit
Another thought -- isn't it possible to have a web page for your collection through DVD Profiler? If so, it would be possible to have that page available in AvantGo, and probably much less hassle. I may try that myself.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Christopher,
Yes, this is possible. However, now that I've started using MobileDB Lite and MobileDB-PC for *.CSV conversions I can also address my LD collection (which is not on DVD Profiler) but contained in an old friend, Professional File 2 (goes back to my TRS-80 days!). Professional File contains a *.CSV export function as well so I now can have everything on my Palmpilot.
Thanks.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
>>MobileDB Lite
Is this version of MobileDB freeware? I too would like to use something to keep track of my DVDs and possibly LDs on my Palm.
Thanks,
Glenn

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
For those out there who use PocketPCs instead, remember that Excel is built into the device. In my case I use a Microsoft Access database to store my DVD collection. (I didn't like how DVD Profiler handled (or didn't handle rather) TV series.)
With the help of a friend who writes databases (I'm an editor, not a database wiz), I set up a macro in Access to spit my movie list out to an Excel file when I close the database and place that file in my sync folder. Then, whenever I drop my iPaq into its cradle, the Excel file is automatically copied over to the iPaq (if it changed).
Of course, I didn't bring my iPaq with me to Fox so I didn't have my database with me at the store! Next time, I'll bring it with me!
-greg

Denward

Supporting Actor
MobileDb Lite is very nice but it is READ ONLY on your Palm. You have to come back to your PC and type in changes, export to CSV, export to PDB, and then resync to your Palm. It's great for reference databases that you don't need to change on the fly.
ThinkDB is also free but it's read/write on your Palm. Heck, if you don't mind eyestrain, you can even design fairly comples database structures right on your Palm. However, the PC user interface for ThinkDB is commercial.
I have both of these on my Palm.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
re: thinkDB
Actually, the handheld portion of thinkDB is now also commercial, but is bundled with the desktop part...

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Yes, MobileDB Lite is freeware and the read-only limitation is not a limitation at all for my application. I find that it (and the included MobileDB-PC utility that imports *.CSV files) to be exactly what the doctor ordered in this case.
Yes, others may prefer other programs with other features, but that's human nature and everyone should use what they feel most comfortable with.
Take care.
------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Of course, I didn't bring my iPaq with me to Fox so I didn't have my database with me at the store! Next time, I'll bring it with me!
greg,
My PalmPilot's already packed!
laugh.gif

------------------
RAF
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Tiny update for those struggling like I was - here is a link to the MobileDB Lite page. Its not easy to find, or at least it had me stumped for a few minutes.
[Edited last by Iain Lambert on October 24, 2001 at 03:04 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks