DVD profiler alternates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Butler, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Is DVDprofler supposed to be any good? I had a glitch when I was entering my discs the other day and lost it after entering my 300+ DVDs. I had heard of problems with the program.

Is there any other programs that I can use? Or should I try profiler again?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Along the same lines, it appears that DVD Profiler is only usable on a (dirty) Windows machine. I was hoping I could just enter my DVDs directly on the site, but I don't see any way to. Is there any way to use the site with a Mac?

3. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

yes, a mac alternative would be appreciated here also [​IMG]

4. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

Most people here seem dead stuck on DVD Profiler. But since you ask, I might as well try again:
    MoCaSys
    (Sorry guys, no Mac stuff here)
    --Anders

5. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

The only free option I've found for the mac is dvd aficionado
    On the pay side, you might want to look into VideoFile from Spinfree software
    Hope that helps-
    Jimmy

6. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

I'm a Mac user, but I love DVD Profiler so much that I'm running it on my Mac via Virtual PC. Works pretty well, actually. I can even export the database to a drive partition I share with the Mac OS. From there I can import that into a Mac native version of Filemaker Pro for the sole purpose of then exporting that to the Filemaker app I have in my Palm Pilot.
    Yeah, it's a lot of steps, but I have it down to a science now. [​IMG] And now I always have my DVD database with me, as well as on the computer and on the Web.
    Sure wish the DVD Profiler people would make a Mac native product, though.

7. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Profiler is one the best programs I own, and certainly the best of the sharewares... just one person's opinion

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I had a corrupt database last year. Other than that, no problems. As with any important info, just make regular backups (File>Backup Profiler Database). You can even download a backup from the online site, if you have uploaded your collection (although you would need to re-download all images with this method).

-Dave

9. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I have had only one corrupt database since using DVD Profiler....and I have been using it for close to 12-14 months.

Well spent $25 to me.

10. Steve-T

Steve-T Extra

I use profiler as well. When downloading new information, if I hit cancel, it will freeze up and then I have to run the repair. Similar reponse with friends. Also find downloads to be very slow. Otherwise I like it and it is free.

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I was working on a Mac database for DVDs. My work sort of stalled. Like the aforementioned "Videofile" it was to be built as a Filemaker Pro runtime. I stopped because personally, I work 100% of the time in MacOS X and I didn't have a Developer edition of FMP for OS X.

BUT, I did recently get RealBasic which has a lot of database functionality and allows you to port your finished product to Mac, MacOS X, or Windows. (Not that I'd port a windows version but...)

It would never have what DVD Profiler has though -- the downloadable info and covers and such. Personally, thats what I hate about DVD Profiler. It wants to to do too much for you...like Microsoft Word insisting that when you type a : and a ) together, you are actually trying to type a smiley face!

12. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I would just like to say that myself and Jason Whyte have recently tried out DVD Aficionado.

It's a really great system. I urdge everone in the HTF to try it.

You can make subsections and cross refernce with other peoples DVD collection, to see what you own of what they own.

Plus if you see something you want to buy, that somebody owns, there is a direct link to some DVD retailers, with free shipping, using their link.

Imdb.com is also linked to every movie, so you can go directly to IMDB, if you need to look up stuff about the movie, before you buy it.

Check out my list right above my sig file.

13. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

I also had similar crashing experience. What I learned from that experience was to make frequent backups and frequent uploads. When your database is corrupted, you can either restore from your backups, or download from the web.

14. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

I have been running DVD Profiler for almost 2 years now with zero problems. I try and do weekly updates on my collection. So maybe that helps it from crashing?

15. Des Easthom

Des Easthom Extra

I have been using Profiler for over 2 years but have had data problems, so regular backup is a must. But also use VideoList Plus for my PDA and PC. Very simple program but is great to take on a DVD shopping trip.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I also can't imagine there being a

better program than DVD PROFILER.

17. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I have never been impressed with DVD Profiler and I tried it a few times. Have they updated the program's interface beyond "looks like a beginner VB programmer made it"?

Collectorz.com has released v2.0 of their Movie Collector program; I haven't tried it yet but their Music Collector is the best music cataloging program I've ever tried and one of the few pieces of shareware I've paid for.

18. Kevin_M_M

Kevin_M_M Stunt Coordinator

If any of you add discs by name, do you find its really slow in pulling up the appropriate discs as the database is so big now?

Or am I doing something wrong?

19. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Fortunately, I use a cable modem for internet access, so pulling up the names is pretty quick. I can see if you are using a modem it could be a little slow, however. I have been using DVD Profiler over two years now and it is my favorite program. I do keep backups and upload to the website every week or so. While I have had a few problems with DVD profiler, it was always correctible.

20. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

Two years and zero errors, it even survived my computer's motherboards meltdown which required me to reload everything when I changed OS. I think their interface is far from a beginners VB interface and wouldn't imagine living without it. I just wish they had the same package for CDs.