What's new

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out. (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yet another reason I do not trust the cloud and never use it. If I ever did, it certainly wouldn't be for anything important. Other than antivirus programs, nothing I have or use is cloud-dependent. I don't have to worry about anything getting lost when it's stored on my (all data backed up) hard drive.

There's VERY little danger in using large cloud storage services like OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox, etc. Your data is much more at risk sitting on your own hard drive. Redundancy is your friend.

Invelos is a very small company. Anything can and will happen with a tiny operation like that with limited resources at hand.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yet another reason I do not trust the cloud and never use it. If I ever did, it certainly wouldn't be for anything important. Other than antivirus programs, nothing I have or use is cloud-dependent. I don't have to worry about anything getting lost when it's stored on my (all data backed up) hard drive.
My DVD Profiler database is stored on my own PC. However, whenever you attempt to add a new title to your collection, the application tries to connect to the online server to update the profiles on your PC. So, if Invelos's server goes away, you can't add any new titles manually.

There are many PC applications which need to "phone home" at times in order to function properly even if the data is stored locally. You may be using some without even realizing it.

Last edited:

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
My DVD Profiler database is stored on my own PC. However, whenever you attempt to add a new title to your collection, the application tries to connect to the online server to update the profiles on your PC. So, if Invelos's server goes away, you can't add any new titles manually.

There are many PC applications which need to "phone home" at times in order to function properly even if the data is stored locally. You may be using some without even realizing it.
I have DVD Profiler installed on two laptops for off-line use; one for only keeping track of 3D blu-ray titles/high resolution covers (all locked) and specifications readily available, and one for locked duplicate copy of quality picked global data cover-scans and chosen physical media user content.
DVD Profiler is also installed on a desktop, specifically for updating purposes, current contribution updates and current online profiler data-base formatting.

Last edited:

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

Inasmuch as I use them a lot when I'm offline i.e. not connected to the internet at all, I doubt it.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's worrisome that the PC application becomes almost useless if the online site is down.
I don't understand this comment. DVD Profiler remained perfectly functional for me with the exception of being able to download and upload profiles to the site. Since all the online data is user created, the desktop application is obviously very capable of creating and cataloging profiles without the online database.

As for convenience, yes, the outage was very inconvenient.

---------------

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't understand this comment. DVD Profiler remained perfectly functional for me with the exception of being able to download and upload profiles to the site. Since all the online data is user created, the desktop application is obviously very capable of creating and cataloging profiles without the online database.

As for convenience, yes, the outage was very inconvenient.

---------------
I was trying to add a new title I had just ordered from Amazon. The first thing DVD Profiler does when you select "add a disc" is to download the latest profiles from the online servers. Since those were down, the application just hung at that point. Canceling the download caused the application to freeze, with the only way to exit the application via Windows task manager. On the next app launch, I was then forced to run a database repair because the app shut down improperly.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The first thing DVD Profiler does when you select "add a disc" is to download the latest profiles from the online servers. Since those were down, the application just hung at that point.
I'm not sure why we had such different experiences. While the site was down I was able to open the "Add DVDs to Collection" dialog, and all I had to do was uncheck the "Download profile from Invelos" checkbox to manually add a profile. Maybe your list of online profiles was more out of date than mine, and that was responsible.

In any event, making the desktop application less dependent on the site would be a good idea, IMO.

---------------

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've just spent a fair amount of time updating my DVD Profiler and now have a question.

Does anyone know if there will ever be any more updates?

It's been a couple years now since 4.0.0 was released.

The Invelos forums still seem pretty active, but I don't see any talk of anything new in the pipeline.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've just spent a fair amount of time updating my DVD Profiler and now have a question.

The Invelos forums still seem pretty active, but I don't see any talk of anything new in the pipeline.

As a loyal user, I've wondered about this too. New titles, even oddball releases are still being added to the community, and I can't think of what else this program could add? It's seems as stable as ever as far as I can tell?

A neat feature would be to include links to digital media stored on a home theater pc/nas, or streaming service, but it's such an oddball fit to what it's purpose is, it doesn't really make sense. I have a large collection of both so having it all in one place would be cool, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A neat feature would be to include links to digital media stored on a home theater pc/nas, or streaming service, but it's such an oddball fit to what it's purpose is, it doesn't really make sense. I have a large collection of both so having it all in one place would be cool, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on it.
Having entries for titles owned via a streaming service is actually a popular request on the site, and will become more so as streaming continues to grow. I have created my own media type called "Digital Copy" (for lack of a better label) and will download the disc profiles of titles I own on streaming only and change the media type. The main downside to this is that you cannot assign some of the latest features to such entries, as things like Dolby Vision and HDR10 can only be assigned to UHD disc titles in the application.

Last edited:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Having entries for titles owned via a streaming service is actually a popular request on the site, and will become more so as streaming continues to grow. I have created my own media type called "Digital Copy" (for lack of a better label) and will download the disc profiles of titles I own on streaming only and change the media type. The main downside to this is that you cannot assign some of the latest features to such entries, as things like Dolby Vision and HDR10 can only be assigned to UHD disc titles in the application.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I've considered creating a tab to do that with, but I've since set up a PLEX server so it's easier to see what I have that way, though not as elegant as having it all in one place. A plug in option from PLEX to DVD Profiler would be cool, but the way PLEX is and how they update it, I doubt it would be viable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've gone a couple steps further by creating three such media types.

iTunes/Vudu SD Digital
iTunes/Vudu HD Digital
iTunes/Vudu 4K Digital

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I tried to make a simple Digital tab but my problem is that I couldn’t get that tab’s number to be included in owned copies.
For example the most recent movie I bought and added to profiler is Endgame.
It’s title number 2354 in my collection.
If I buy a digital movie and put it in digital tab and mark it as owned for whatever reason it doesn’t recognize the dig title.

When I add a new disc title it assigns it the number of the most recent digital title.

I’m sure I’m missing something that’s causing this.
I just created a tag instead so I just tag movies as digital instead.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I tried to make a simple Digital tab but my problem is that I couldn’t get that tab’s number to be included in owned copies.
For example the most recent movie I bought and added to profiler is Endgame.
It’s title number 2354 in my collection.
If I buy a digital movie and put it in digital tab and mark it as owned for whatever reason it doesn’t recognize the dig title.

When I add a new disc title it assigns it the number of the most recent digital title.

I’m sure I’m missing something that’s causing this.
I just created a tag instead so I just tag movies as digital instead.
If you create a new media type, you could put those in your "owned" tab if you wish. I keep them in a separate tab, but that is just my preference.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’ll have to look at it again.
It’s one of only a couple things I still have a laptop for.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
A neat feature would be to include links to digital media stored on a home theater pc/nas, or streaming service, but it's such an oddball fit to what it's purpose is, it doesn't really make sense.
You can link to digital media via the Notes field.

From the Tools menu select Options and the Display tab and check "Use HTML for notes".

Create a link in your notes as below, replacing "URL_FOR_VIDEO" with the proper URL. This is how I link my profiles to the films I have in PLEX.

<a href="URL_FOR_VIDEO" target="_blank">Play Movie</a><br>

---------------

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You can link to digital media via the Notes field.

From the Tools menu select Options and the Display tab and check "Use HTML for notes".

Create a link in your notes as below, replacing "URL_FOR_VIDEO" with the proper URL. This is how I link my profiles to the films I have in PLEX.

<a href="URL_FOR_VIDEO" target="_blank">Play Movie</a><br>

---------------

Wow, thank you for the heads up! It would be a daunting project for me at this point, but I'm going to keep it in mind!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

A year-and-a-half later and still wondering the same thing.

The program still works great and does what I need it to do (and a lot more) so I'm not complaining. More curious, I guess, than anything else.

GREAT software.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Having relied on DVD Profiler to manage my collection for YEARS, I couldn't agree more Mike. The competition, such as it is, has never impressed me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks