1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Profiler 4.0.0 is out.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mike Frezon, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    There's VERY little danger in using large cloud storage services like OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox, etc. Your data is much more at risk sitting on your own hard drive. Redundancy is your friend.

Invelos is a very small company. Anything can and will happen with a tiny operation like that with limited resources at hand.

2. Message #42 of 58 Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My DVD Profiler database is stored on my own PC. However, whenever you attempt to add a new title to your collection, the application tries to connect to the online server to update the profiles on your PC. So, if Invelos's server goes away, you can't add any new titles manually.

There are many PC applications which need to "phone home" at times in order to function properly even if the data is stored locally. You may be using some without even realizing it.

dpippel likes this.
  3. Message #43 of 58 Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Screenwriter

Paul Hillenbrand
    I have DVD Profiler installed on two laptops for off-line use; one for only keeping track of 3D blu-ray titles/high resolution covers (all locked) and specifications readily available, and one for locked duplicate copy of quality picked global data cover-scans and chosen physical media user content.
    DVD Profiler is also installed on a desktop, specifically for updating purposes, current contribution updates and current online profiler data-base formatting.

4. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Inasmuch as I use them a lot when I'm offline i.e. not connected to the internet at all, I doubt it.

5. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I don't understand this comment. DVD Profiler remained perfectly functional for me with the exception of being able to download and upload profiles to the site. Since all the online data is user created, the desktop application is obviously very capable of creating and cataloging profiles without the online database.

As for convenience, yes, the outage was very inconvenient.

---------------

6. Scott Merryfield

I was trying to add a new title I had just ordered from Amazon. The first thing DVD Profiler does when you select "add a disc" is to download the latest profiles from the online servers. Since those were down, the application just hung at that point. Canceling the download caused the application to freeze, with the only way to exit the application via Windows task manager. On the next app launch, I was then forced to run a database repair because the app shut down improperly.

7. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I'm not sure why we had such different experiences. While the site was down I was able to open the "Add DVDs to Collection" dialog, and all I had to do was uncheck the "Download profile from Invelos" checkbox to manually add a profile. Maybe your list of online profiles was more out of date than mine, and that was responsible.

In any event, making the desktop application less dependent on the site would be a good idea, IMO.

---------------

JohnMor and Scott Merryfield like this.
  8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've just spent a fair amount of time updating my DVD Profiler and now have a question.

Does anyone know if there will ever be any more updates?

It's been a couple years now since 4.0.0 was released.

The Invelos forums still seem pretty active, but I don't see any talk of anything new in the pipeline.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    As a loyal user, I've wondered about this too. New titles, even oddball releases are still being added to the community, and I can't think of what else this program could add? It's seems as stable as ever as far as I can tell?

A neat feature would be to include links to digital media stored on a home theater pc/nas, or streaming service, but it's such an oddball fit to what it's purpose is, it doesn't really make sense. I have a large collection of both so having it all in one place would be cool, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on it.

10. Scott Merryfield

That's always a mystery, Mike. The owner and developer at Invelos rarely makes any public statements regarding the direction of the product.

11. Message #51 of 58 Aug 22, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Scott Merryfield

Having entries for titles owned via a streaming service is actually a popular request on the site, and will become more so as streaming continues to grow. I have created my own media type called "Digital Copy" (for lack of a better label) and will download the disc profiles of titles I own on streaming only and change the media type. The main downside to this is that you cannot assign some of the latest features to such entries, as things like Dolby Vision and HDR10 can only be assigned to UHD disc titles in the application.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I've considered creating a tab to do that with, but I've since set up a PLEX server so it's easier to see what I have that way, though not as elegant as having it all in one place. A plug in option from PLEX to DVD Profiler would be cool, but the way PLEX is and how they update it, I doubt it would be viable.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I've gone a couple steps further by creating three such media types.

iTunes/Vudu SD Digital
    iTunes/Vudu HD Digital
    iTunes/Vudu 4K Digital

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I tried to make a simple Digital tab but my problem is that I couldn’t get that tab’s number to be included in owned copies.
    For example the most recent movie I bought and added to profiler is Endgame.
    It’s title number 2354 in my collection.
    If I buy a digital movie and put it in digital tab and mark it as owned for whatever reason it doesn’t recognize the dig title.

When I add a new disc title it assigns it the number of the most recent digital title.

I’m sure I’m missing something that’s causing this.
    I just created a tag instead so I just tag movies as digital instead.

15. Scott Merryfield

If you create a new media type, you could put those in your "owned" tab if you wish. I keep them in a separate tab, but that is just my preference.

Robert Crawford and TonyD like this.
  16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’ll have to look at it again.
    It’s one of only a couple things I still have a laptop for.

17. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    You can link to digital media via the Notes field.

From the Tools menu select Options and the Display tab and check "Use HTML for notes".

Create a link in your notes as below, replacing "URL_FOR_VIDEO" with the proper URL. This is how I link my profiles to the films I have in PLEX.

<a href="URL_FOR_VIDEO" target="_blank">Play Movie</a><br>

---------------

JohnMor likes this.
  18. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Wow, thank you for the heads up! It would be a daunting project for me at this point, but I'm going to keep it in mind!