What's new

DVD Problem- No Disc (1 Viewer)

Mike_Wong

Auditioning
Lately my Sony DVP-S505D has been acting up on me. Some DVDs which were working before are being rejected by the player with the message 'No Disc' after a long search. Even on those that work, it will take more than 20 sec. to start.
What could be wrong and how can I correct the problem?
I have taken the player apart and clean the lens but results still negative.:frowning:

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Bump.

I've just started having a similar problem with my 3-year old Panasonic DVDA120U. No problems until last Friday night, when I was watching Requiem for a Dream. Got to chapter 21, then the player froze up, spun/chugged for awhile then showed the blank DVD image on the TV and the player showed "No Disc". I tried powering down and back, unplugging the unit, several other DVDs and even CD's, but now all I get when I put a disc (any disc) in the drawer and close it is "No Disc". Perhaps one too many drug scenes in Requiem put it over the edge (bad transport trip)? Is this fixable via some simple key-sequence reset or will I need to go to a physical servicer? Since the machine is old (only 2nd-gen DVD) and way out of warranty, would it make sense to just replace it?

Many questions - any answers or even suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Mark

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
By the looks of it both your players'laser lenses either

need replacement or servicing by the agents are required.

Perhaps you should try and use DVD lens cleaner, a disc

with a tiny brush attached. Put it in and let it play as a

normal disc, it usually comes with a melody and see what

happens after that. Even if you put in this cleaning disc

and still the 'NO DISC'sign shows up then it's time to

visit the 'doctor'.

It happened on my CD player but after the cleaning, it was

ok. Sometimes its due to dirt covering the laser lens

resulting the lens not able to 'read' the disc. Hope this

will help you guys.

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
Leon, thanks. I did purchase a cleanig disc today and tried that, but alas, the player still didn't recognize it ("no disc error"). Anyway, the disc will certainly come in handy with my CD player...
Jeff, thanks for the link to the other thread. I went through it, and though it's focused mainly on Sony players, I did find reference to Audioreview.com. Did a search of their discussion boards, and found out that a couple other people with the same Panny I have also had the same problem. One person had it fixed under warranty - it needed a new laser lens which service normally costs about $150 :eek:, the other person just replaced the player (was out of warranty).
I think I am heading down the road to replacement, here. Any other ideas folks, or should I join the ravenous crowd queueing up for the new RP82 when it comes out next month?

MarkPayton

Stunt Coordinator
FYI, here's another, even more helpful link to an Link Removed.
This contains an exact description of the problem I have been having. Guess it's time for the dumpster - anybody need spare parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks