"DVD pricing has studios in a stew"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Katofiasc, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Rob Katofiasc

Rob Katofiasc Auditioning

http://www.msnbc.com/news/699928.asp?0dm=C13OT
    "Where video enriched Hollywood through rental fees and sales, the hottest action in DVD right now is in sales. Chains like Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and Best Buy Co. have glommed onto DVDs to lure shoppers into their
    stores and are doing a booming business with them.
    But DVDs are also a huge business for Blockbuster Inc. and other big rental chains, and that leaves the studios in a quandary over how best to balance the interests of their biggest customers. "
    I thought we are the biggest customers.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"We" were, until recently. DVD has now achieved mass-market penetration, and the big chain stores are where the action is now.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

"Lieberfarb (Warner Home Video’s chief) wants to get the retail price of new releases down to about $10, not much more than the cost of a rental and a late fee."

Woo-hoo! Warner catches a lot of flack around here, but you gotta like this Lieberfarb guys pricing structure! Bring 'em on!

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

...it probably doesn't matter much what I wish for. I think the days of us (early adopters) being a major influence on these decisions are coming to an end. We will all probably just be spectators here while the majors (studios, Wal-Marts, Blockbusters) play this out. We will probably have to take whatever we get from them. All of the predictions by some of DVD going mainstream being bad for us enthusiasts may very well come true. (hope not)

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Warner can take their $10 P&S only pos and stuff it. Of course, if all studios issued their back catalogs at the rate that Warner does, my DVD budget would surely plummet.

8. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I love that comment from Dreamworks: "All we care about is making money, screw what the consumers want!" Sounds exactly like Bill Mechanic.

How come as soon as Fox came around and stopped over-pricing their discs, Di$ney and now Dreamwork$ have to $tart $crewing it up???