DVD Players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kenny Li, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Kenny Li

Kenny Li Agent

Hi,

I'm new to HT. I will be buying a HT system for my new apartment and I have a question with regards to the DVD player.

How much of a difference is it between a DVD player made by high-end component makers such as Rotel, Denon, etc. vs. those made by normal electronic companies such as Sony, Philips, etc.?

There is a huge price difference, but I can't figure out whether it's worth it. Assuming that I'm talking about the high-end Sony and Philips DVD players with progressive scan and component out.

Thanks,
    Kenny

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    This type of question is sometimes tuff to answer but I'll give it a try. First off, I'm more of a "consumer" than an "audiophile" so keep that in mind. Is the $1000 Denon/Marantz universal dvd five times better than the Pioneer 563? To me it isn't but to the person who bought the $1000 one it is. If you took into account the research/development, better quality parts and more careful manufacturing process then the higher price seems justified. But is the end result, sound and picture, worth the extra $830? With my modest systems and noisy listening environment, I don't think I would notice the difference as much as someone with a higher end system in a quiet environment so I usually buy the cheaper stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's better to match your equipment then to have an expensive dvd going to a 27" GE and $250 htib. The other problem I have with high cost stuff is upgrading. We all know what that means. BTW I have two set-ups. In one room, an Onkyo HT-650 5.1 receiver/speaker set with a Zenith 27" (waiting for a good deal on a big screen) and Philips 781 5 disc dvd player. In the other, a G.E. 35" with an H/K 520 receiver, DVD-5 dvd player, 8380 cd player and CDR-20 cd recorder. The retail price of the H/K DVD-5 was 2 1/2 times that of the Philips dvd 781. Between the two, I can't tell much of a difference in sound/picture quality. There may be one, but I don't see it. The H/K stuff does seem to be better built with better materials. And their CSR is first rate. The Onkyo was a terrific value though a little short on features compared to the H/K 520. And the 520 has a wonderful sound to it. Well, it seems as though I have used a lot of words without really saying anything. Anyway, I guess one has to pick a budget, do some research, match their equipment and hope for the best. Until the "new models" come out. Then you get to do it all over again! Gene

3. John S

John S Producer

Dang, this is a question only you can answer for yourself.

My friends all tell me I am crazy to want a new DVD player, as my current one a non progressive scan model looks amazing letting the TV perform the Progressive Scan.

But, I will lay you money I will be able to see the difference when I get my new one, especially on Widescreen DVD's going into my TV's HD Component inputs.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - it really depends on what you're going to be running with it. I would say $1000 is really too much to spend on a dvd player these days since the tech is evolving so quickly. If just for DVD purposes, you could just get a lower end Denon w/ the same Silicon Deinterlacer that the higher up models have. That difference would be another marginal jump ($100-$200) from say a Pioneer 563A but wouldn't be so high as a $500 or $800 jump. It all depends on your priorities for this source player and what you are going to be running w/ it because like what Gene said, it makes no sense to go high end on this unless your other equipment is up to par to utilize it.

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

My old pappy usta tell me to buy the best tools for the job that you can afford. It's worked for me in HT too. The differences become smaller as you move up the food chain, but they are evident.....it's just a matter of whether those differences are worth it to you. I tend to keep stuff for a longer while than many, so the higher end units serve me better over time.

Mort