DVD players withOUT DD/DTS Processing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Blank, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

It continues to puzzle me as to why almost all DVD players still incorporate surround processors into their machines. By now, the vast majority of buyers of DVD players fall into two camps:

Those that own a Reciever/Pre-Pro with processing built in.
    Those that have no interest in HT and just hook their player up to their TV.

Sure there are those out there that have "DD-Ready" receivers/Preamps with a multi-channel input that benefit from the processing built into DVD players but they're sure to be in the minority.

It would seem to me that manufacturers could save money as well as lower the cost/include other features that wouldn't be duplicated by A/V recievers and preamps.

Am I alone and dead wrong on this or have others thought this a waste as well?

Bill

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'd think it would be about limiting your customers. Plus LOTs of folks out there still have dolby pro logic receivers.

If a manufacturer covers all the bases then they increase the potential customer base.

Plus it looks cool with all those logos on the front of the player.
    NOT!

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The vast majority of players today actually do not have DD or DTS decoders built-in. Just about the only players that do are those that play DVD-Audio discs. The logic here is that since you have to connect the 6-channel outputs to hear DVD-Audio playback, you might as well decode the DD stream too so the user doesn't have to switch between digital and 6ch input on their receiver.