What's new

DVD players with scalers (1 Viewer)

Corey Mc

Auditioning
i am looking at these new upconverting dvd players with built in scalers. the idea is to upscale dvd video to near HD for HDTv's. my question is this, these units have DVI outputs running from them. is the scaler only going to have an effect on the video if you are sending it via the DVI ? or, will it also have an effect on video sent from the composite outputs ? i am in the process of adding a projector to my setup. i am not running a home theater pc nor do i have any intention of doing that so i am looking to do the scaling through the dvd player. i just want to make sure that i will see the scaler at work from the composite output. thanks

Corey Mc

Auditioning
and further to that, if the converting can be done through component, what if any players still do it?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The way I understand it is that the dvd players that upscale video send it out via hdmi. And while these players may do some upscaling. They are not HD and are not HD quality. They may improve the detail of the picture but they are not getting HD out of a 480p source. Am not sure if you get the upconverted picture via component connections?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
All HDTV's accept 480p component video and scale that up to an HDTV format.

You don't need an upscaling DVD player unless you have misgivings about the scaling quality of your TV.

Also, all upscaling DVD players must de-interlace the video prior to upscaling as the comes off of the disk. All HDTV's also de-interlace incoming 480i video. Only by auditioning or by reading reviews or by word of mouth will you find out what players do a good job of de-interlacing whthout which the interlaced player output and the TV's circuits might possibly give a better picture than the upscaled output.

Do a Google search for Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets to find a whole host of DVD player reviews.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Most new ones do, but not all of them do, and certainly not in the past.

This thread is also double-posted in displays

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks