What's new

DVD Players With 'Resume Play' (?) Function? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
As I posted in an earlier thread, I purchased a Toshiba
SD-3900 for someone, and after setting it up, found that it always reverts back to the beginning when turned off.

All the players I have owned (Sony 300, 715P, Tosh SD-5700)
would resume play at the stopping point. Therefore, I incorrectly assumed that all players had this as a matter of course.

My question: What players in the $100-150 range have this 'feature'? Any replies appreciated. Thanks

Larry Hayward

Auditioning
I had the SD-3900 and replaced it for that very reason. Too bad, because otherwise it's a great machine. I know the Sony 725, which sells for $129 at Circuit City and Best Buy, has the resume feature. Or, you might be able to pick up a Panasonic at Costco that does it. Get a model number, go on their website and download the instruction manual.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic DV85s does. IT is a 5 disc changer, around $150. That would typically be a software function of the unit, so I would guess that most Pannys have the feature.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My Panasonic KV32 has a memory function that must be pressed in order to return to a particular point on a disc. This information is stored in memory and the memory will hold up to 10 locations on different disks. I can press the memory button on a disk, take it out of the player and put it back in days later and it will resume play from the point where I pressed the memory button. I like this better than having the laser stop at a certain point when the player is turned off.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I like this feature but I'm learning to live without it. My old Toshiba SD-1200 had it, then I bought a Denon 910 that also has the resume function. I didn't like the Denon 910 for other reasons so I doubled my budget for a Denon 2200 which doesn't have resume. The $1000 Denon 2900 doesn't even have it. I'm just learning to live without it because the 2200 exceeds my expectations in every other area.

BenK

Stunt Coordinator

I find this feature VERY important. I had a basic Pioneer player a few years back that had the normal resume play AND a specific bookmarking feature that would remember where you left off even if you took the disc out also. I loved it.

I tried the above Panasonic player when I was looking for a secondary player with this feature but returned it because I found it inconvenient to remember everytime to hit the memory button to save the last spot. After some research to find a low cost player with resume play it was more difficult than I thought to find one with this feature. I ended up with a another Pioneer thats worked great and it seems that most if not all of the Pioneers have this feature.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I thought they all had the resume feature, if you mean:
Pause the movie; turn off the power. When you power it back on, then hit play, it resumes in the same spot. The only player I know of that doesn't do that is the PS2, but I'm probably just ignorant.

Now, the disc memory is an even better feature. My Sony DVP-NS755 will store the last-played spot of (I think) up to 60 discs. So, I can stop a movie, play some other things, then resume the first movie a week or 3 later at the same spot.

Jason, I thought the disc memory function is what the Denon 2900 lacks. If it doesn't even have the resume feature I described at top, that's pretty poor.

Doug

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I originally had a first generation Panasonic player I bought back in 1997, that is still in service, that would just stop tracking at the point where you turned the power off and resume from the same spot on the disk when turned back on. However, if you removed the disk, and played another one, you had to manually search for where you wanted to begin play on the first disk. Hitting the memory button on the remote is much more convenient in this sense. My Zenith combo player has a bookmark feature on the DVD player, but it defaults back to the beginning of a disk whenever I hit the stop button twice or turn the power off and it has no memory function. I find this very inconvenient but can't argue because the price was right on the unit.

Simon-d

Grip
one I use is Cyberhome CH 300 very cheap (some will say too cheap) about $80 CND (goes region free as well)has the resume feature. Available at Radioshack.

btw that glass isn't half full it's half empty thing... what you have is a glass thats twice as big as you need it to be. :)

Regards

Simon

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Nope, it doesn't even have the basic resume feature. Well, I've never touched a 2900 but my 2200 doesn't have resume. I've seen many other 2900 owners confirm it also lacks resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks