What's new

DVD Players with remaining time (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I want to purchase a new DVD player. I have a second generation Toshiba. I want a DVD Player that would show the remaining time on screen. I bought a Samsung few years ago that wasn’t able to do this. What players or marks support this? Does Pioneer have this? Thanks.

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Sam,

I have a Toshiba 3950, and it has that feature. Really nice feature if you ask me, wish my other player had it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It seems that the "remaining time" is based on a certain brand. Samsung I'm sure doesn't have it. I have seen 3 different Samsung players and none had it.

It seems that Toshiba has it on all of his models. What about Pioneer? (I have seen a nice Pioneer that also plays Divx! I didn't know that the big names has gotten into Divx too!)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Pioneer's 578A player shows Time Elapsed and Time Remaining as part of its display along with other info such as soundtrack and subtitles (pressing the button a second time will show the same info for the current chapter with bitrate).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Thanks. The Pionner that I have seen is DV 575A exactly. Any info or any sites to see if it shows the remaining time? How are these big names for Divx play back?

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Sam,

My other player is an older Pioneer 5 disc changer. Sounds like Pioneer may have added this feature. I like how the Toshiba also shows a progress bar at the bottom when you hit the display to show time remaining.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I'm thinking about getting this Pioneer DV 575A. It has DVD Audio, Divx, progressive scan ...
Just to be sure, on Pioneer, you hit the Display on the remote and it shows the remaining time on TV right? Because some might show it only on the DVD player panel. I want it on my TV.

Any recommendation about Pioneer and Toshiba? Which one plays titles with less problems? Because THX 1138 has problems on my old Toshiba.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Also forgot, do Pioneer players resume? I want to turn off my player and later resume from the same part of the movie.

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Sam,

I was wrong about my Pioneer DV C505, it does have time remaining for the movie and chapter via an OSD. This Pio also has a resume and remembers where you left off even after being powered off. A nice feature I wish the Tosh had. What I like about the Tosh's OSD, on Widescreen movies, it does not interfere with the picture.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
My Sony, Onkyo and Toshiba all have this function. The Toshiba brings up chapeter, time used and time remaining all at once.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I finally bought this player today and WOW! I’m very satisfied with it. I have never been satisfied with a player this much. First this player plays Divx like I have not seen before. I have 2 gadget players with PC DVD-Rom that suppose to play fine everything (Kiss, Lite-on) but they show some files with little jumps. Pioneer plays them fine!

Also loved the built-in brightness, contrast… feature. I was finally able to enjoy my Star Wars DVDs. It brightens like software on a PC. I wasn’t able to get the same results with my TV brightness/contrast/... But of course I still think I should get the same result without all these tweaks! The transfer is too dark.

Anyway loved the player! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bye bye my old Toshiba. This was my first DVD player and was with me from the very first days of DVD!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ok, there is only one downfall to this player and that’s the noise. When it’s playing, it’s silent but when it has to jump to a part and change the place of the laser, it makes noise louder than any DVD player I had. It happens when you skip, choose menu, etc. Is Pioneer known to have noisy players?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks